For Herb Alpert fans

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dow30, May 24, 2006.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I love Herb....!

Good post...

Interesting to hear "A Taste of Honey" in a Jazz rendition...

2. grasshopper

grasshopper New Friend

Mar 3, 2006
    Jacksonville, florida
    Old Guyz Rule! He is great in that clip. He looks refined and smooth. The jazz is up to date and cool. Thanks for the post.

3. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Thanks! There went a half hour..... Great site!

4. krossum

krossum Piano User

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY, USA
  5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    What brand was the harmon type mute he was using?

It seems longer and slimmer than the ones we use.

-cw-

6. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I was going to ask about that myself Chuck...

I had noticed that...

Anyone know???

7. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Isn't that the same mic that Miles used towards the end?

Michael McLaughlin

"When I came home I expected a surprise, and there was no surprise for me, so, of course, I was surprised." Wittgenstein

8. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    This thread about Herb led me back to some old ideas. My original trumpet idol when I was in seventh and eighth grade was Herb Alpert and I got all the Tijuana Brass records. My first gig where I actually made money was with a Herb Alpert cover band. It started when one Xmas I got a 45 with Taste of Honey and Third Man Theme. I haven't heard those things in nearly 40 years, so I went to iTunes tonight and downloaded maybe a dozen random tracks to see what they sounded like. Funny, some tunes I remembered really well and some I had no memory of whatsoever. The best thing I can say about Herb's trumpet playing is that he was in tune and projected some personality, even though he was pretty limited technically. Really pop stuff, well-crafted if insipid. It's really not mariachi at all, except for the trumpet in thirds thing, the marimbas remind me of Veracruz and Chiapas, the Mexican music I much prefer to the Guadalajara mariachi tradition. One thing that impressed me, Nick Cerolli was a hell of a drummer. I'm sure Bob Edmondson and Tonni Kalish and the guys in the band grinned through it all, took the big paychecks and went home happy. From Herb Alpert I moved to Blood, Sweat and Tears, then Miles Davis and when I saw Miles at the age of seventeen in 1971 at the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis I knew what I wanted to do with my life even though it would take another four years to really jump in with both feet.
    A nice stroll down memory lane.......

Michael McLaughlin

"Not the intensity but the duration of high feelings makes high men." Nietzsche

9. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    You guys should get the dvd that those clips are from...1996 at Montreaux Jazz festival....I wont give too much away but after playing Lonely Bull He starts going into Spanish Flea...he plays the familiar intro part, stops and says to the audience "I was just testing you guys, I dont know what to play at a Jazz festival. I wanted see how old you are and if you remember that one....anyways he goes onto say he was getting psycic emails telling him play spanish flea play spanish flea thats the only reason we are here...So he tells them he will muttle through it...Not too shabby for muttling thru it. One part the band keeps going and Herb has to stop and apologise that he forgot how the song ends....says that happens after you get over 30 years old....all in fun and really cool to see him and the band have fun with such a Tiajuana Brass Classic.....I am a big Herb guy and wear his Listen Colonge proudly.....That dvd is 10 years old.....I'd like to know how he looks and sounds now.....by that dvd he looks like he takes decent care of himself.

p.s. When Herb sings Burt Bachrachs' This Guys In Love With You...I got a little misty eyed... :cry: A good misty eyed though... ;-) I guess it has to do with how much Herb and TJB were a part of my trumpet influence when I was younger... :-)