for the high note guys

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by wiseone2, Aug 25, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Tobylou, I try to use range intervals in some of my solos. We have had a classical piece, and a show tune... Here is an example of a blues:

05 Minor Blues by Doctor Jazz on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

That by the way is Kenny Drew Jr. on Keyboards on this recording... son to Kenny Drew who is best known for his keyboard work on Coltrane's "Blue Train" Album

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Page 125 ..................... damn, and all those other pages before I get there. Thanks Mr. Wise. Now I'm retired perhaps I can find more time to dedicate to trumpet - unfortunately, life continues to get in my way .... woe is me.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Replacing that 9 iron with a hunk of brass with a bell at the flaired end may work toward getting to page 125. OR you can buy a pocket trumpet, and take it out of your golf bag as you walk along the fairway toward the green (or in my case walk toward the ruff).

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    oh, wait a minute -- pg 125?? ----- Was I supposed to be using a book for range intervals, slurs, octave leeps,scales and such????? Perhaps, I can find my Arbans, I actually know I got one, somewhere!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. WHEEZER

WHEEZER Pianissimo User

May 9, 2012
    Mr. Wise
    What is your opinion of the Conn Vintage 1 with /without the silver bell ? I await your reply. Thank you
    Respectfully
    Wheezer :D

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Who walks the golf course these days with a bag of golf clubs over their shoulder and simultaneously plays a trumpet or flugel? For sure it ain't a golfer. If it is a trumpeter usurping the caddy's work, that work would sure deplete endurance on trumpet. My caddy drives me around the course while I play _____________ . Protocol on the course ... no unusual sounds allowed! With my back pain I don't play golf now! I like what many others play, but I don't aspire to play like them, I focus on playing like ME, and Bernstein isn't conducting me. I know I still haven't yet got the rhythmic syncopation of America in West Side Story, but it is a personal challenge.

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Thanks, I've seen that before, always fascinating again.... Mr. Wise, thank you for hang in' with us... :-)

8. afp

afp Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2013
    Roseburg, OR
    Pops McLaughlin has his students do Arban pages 125 and 126, except you take the to note up an octave. He has since written that out in his New Arban's book. Great exercises, and this thread is a good reminder I need to get back to doing them...............

9. Brassman64

Brassman64 Piano User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    Cat Anderson would have been proud because he said he would play higher than other trumpets in the section to get the attention of the ladies.
    4:30
    Duke Ellington - Switzerland '59 6/7 [Cat Anderson's "El Gato"]
    YouTube - Aug 26, 2010
    Here is William Cat Anderson Clark Terry Ray Nance and Shorty.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    tobylou8 likes this.
  10. Chuck Rose

Chuck Rose Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2016
    Petersburg, Alaska
    Reading through this resurrected thread I note that depending on the edition, the exercises in Arban's may be on different pages. For example, in my copy, #46 is on page 18, not on page 20 so I have no idea what the referenced exercise on page 125 might be. I ran into the same problem with my coach when he was referencing a page number from his book that did not line up with mine.