For those of you who have heard Miles live ... as in performing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Sep 5, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    One of my long tone reflections and thoughts...
    If you have heard Miles play live
    I was wondering how loud he actually played .... hard to say if you are in an auditorium and he is playing into a microphone. My impression is that he played quite soft... I know he could let it rip but generally.
    Could be one of the reasons he played towards the floor as well ...

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    In fact I think he generally played very softly. I remember that during the concerts, from time to time, he talked to other musicians whispering into the mic of the trumpet. We could hear what he said just as strong as the notes he played in the low register.
    Mikel

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Miles could play quite loudly when he wanted to.
    John Coltrane and Miles Davis :So What - YouTube

4. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
  5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Thanks for joining in on this one Wilmer. I figured he could play anyway he wanted. I was just wondering if he chose to play soft more often than not ... perhaps he liked the tone the trumpet gets at soft dynamics. Just a randon question and thought I had.
    That is one of my all time favorite clips of his ... next to Autumn Leaves with Cannonball Adderly, who's solo is also killer.
    Man, I wish I would have seen him perform live.

6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
  7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I heard near the end of his career, Wallace Roney was playing behind stage for him.

coolerdave likes this.
  8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I think trying to decide just how loudly or not someone played when what you are listening to is being miced is arbitrary at best. IMO the only way you're really going to do that with certainty is to sit in front of the guy on a live situation.

If you are listening to a miced or recorded situation, you can probably get somewhat of a clue, though, by the way a horn is physically responding. When you hear Chet, his sound usually has no edge to it and you can assume that he's not blowing very forcefully. OTOH, I've heard Miles "live" with his "second great quintet" and the trumpet sound has the kind of edge to it that comes when you are pushing the horn's dynamics.

But then, again, anyone who has played at the mercy of sound men also know that sometimes there's no telling what people hear vs the original sound being produced was, anyway.

9. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Why write about something if you don't know the facts!

Peter McNeill likes this.
  10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    +1

Not singling gmonady out at all, but two of the scariest words for me on internet forums are, "I heard. . . ."