For those of you who have heard Miles live ... as in performing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Sep 5, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Here is a follow-up. I recently reconnedted with the person who informed me this. It was a graduate student, and his information was included, submitted, and accepted for his thesis work toward his docterate in Afro-American Music, Ohio State University. He has the video from the 1989 Montreux Jazz Festival with Walace Roney, playing under the stage syncying in for Miles during this particular performance.

2. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    I've seen video of Wallace Roney ON stage with Miles, both playing.

3. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    Saw Miles in spring 1981 at Kix in Boston, his first gig after several years off. He had a mike clipped to the bell, played very bent over, sometimes with the horn pointing straight down, and played few notes at medium volume. This was an electric band with Marcus Miller on guitars.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not in 1989: Here is the list of OFFICIAL performers for that date:

[h=3]1989 Music again: Van Morrison, Georgie Fame, The Ramsey Lewis Quartet, Etta James, B.B. King, Bireli Lagrene, Al Di Meola, Larry Coryell, Carmen Mc Rae, Spyro Gyra, Lou Rawls, Miles Davis and Elvis Costello.[/h]Source: History | Montreux Jazz Festival

5. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    Have no idea what year the video was shot showing Wallace Roney and Miles playing on stage together.

6. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Bang for your buck?

Some of the old timers remember the Blue Coronet in Brooklyn? Well, in the early 1960's I saw Miles,.... and he showed for the last set. Found out later he was at the bar "incognito."