Foreign Language Definitions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tootsall, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Here's a thought I just had.... frequently those of us who do not have the benefit of a "higher education" in music run across foreign definitions for which we cannot find the correct interpretation. How about a forum/thread in which we could build a bit of a reference library of these terms?

Here's one.... Ripieno Senza Sord.

Now, I know that it's "without mute" (senza sordino)... but what the heck is "Ripieno"?

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Isn't that the group accompanying a solo voice? Like the old Concerti Grossi?

ML

3. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    I believe it is...that is where the position Repiano Cornet in a brass band originates from.

4. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
  5. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

As far as I know, it is Italian and it basically means "stuffing" or "filling", that's why you see it in Italian recipe books too ;)

It means, as others have stated, inner parts, accompanyment etc..

Brass bands have Solo , Repiano and 2nd and 3rd cornets which used to be referred to as 2nd Repiano and 3rd Repiano parts in days gone by (not a lot of band folk know that!! :) )

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Ahh... so "everyone BUT the soloists play here without mute"? Interesting... it shows up at bar 8 in Holst's 2nd Suite in Eb, 1st movement on the 2nd part. As far as I can tell only the 1sts and 2nds play that particular line for about 8? 9 bars.

7. Sturmbill

Sturmbill Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Virginia
    Ripieno (Italian) a term used to distinguish passages played by soloists (concertante) and those played by the whole orchestra (ripieno)

I found this at an on-line music dictionary site! www.dolmetsch.com/musictheorydefs.htm

Regards,

Bill

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Thanks, Bill. Saved that one in "favorites".