Forming a Trust Relationship...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetmasta, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Trumpetmasta

Trumpetmasta Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2012
    Narnia
    Well, I was wondering whether it was the mothering instinct inside of me (or maybe that I was just crazy), but am I the only one that has to form a bond with their horn before they even play it?!?!?!?! I know it's a weird thing, but I must look at the trumpet for 5 minutes just before putting it to my lips. I know it probably sounds crazy to whoever doesn't get it, but when I first got my Besson, I slept with it...yeah. so am I paranoid or do youze guyz agree with me?:play:

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I've slept with my trumpet more than once, my trumpets are always "my girls." They have all had a name and a back story, I treat them once in a while. It may be weird, but hey, normal is over-rated

3. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    My Committee goes where I go. If we go out of town for the weekend or week, I take my horn with me and carry it to the hotel room myself. I just don't want to take the chance of our house being broken into ( we travel a lot ). Yes insurance would cover the cost of a replacement, but, mine has a great sound and always has played in tune throughout the registers. I hear complaints here on TM that some Committees are hard to keep in tune. I'm not obsessed....just careful. I love my wife much more than my horn. I would through it on the ground and stomp it flat if she asked me to.

4. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Take this for what it's worth from a self-described "crazy trumpet lady" (I now own more vintage horns than cats), but I don't think it's weird at all. My horns all have names and distinct personalities. My Holton is such a happy horn always trying to please and ready to play. My Bach is my oldest friend and he just quietly stays by side very steadfastly. My Conn is the "Old Man" (Text from a friend:Whatcha doin? Reply:Blowin the Old Man) and he is a bit grouchy. I had a bit of difficulty convincing him that he should be played again. He's really a very suave and debonair gentleman when he's "in the mood", but he can be a real diva. Then there's Uncle Martin. He's still a bit overwhelmed at being rescued from the yard sale, but we're getting to know each other and it's going well. He'll make his debut next month at our fall dance. So, no, you're not any crazier than me...if that's any comfort. My musician friends get it, even if they're not trumpeters. The rest of the world, well, what they don't know won't hurt me. It's nice to have this nice padded cell...I mean website...to talk to other folks who get it.

5. Trumpetmasta

Trumpetmasta Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2012
    Narnia
    good to know I'm not the only one then...Although I would bet money that none of you have ever taken a nap in a tuba case;)

6. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Many people give instruments names. I don't give mine names just simply, my X3L, or my MC, or my Thumpet. I don't sleep with them either, for the fear of rolling over on them. I don't think it odd for people to have fetishes either, but some seem a bit eccentric. Just like Chuck said, If my wife wanted me too, well give it up I would. To smash it, she would never ask. She is extremely frugal and also likes my trumpets. The Thumpet on the other hand we've just met and I'm learning about it.

7. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Thumpet? Did I miss something?

8. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Does a sousaphone case count?

9. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    The Thumpet is a Custom Made by Ogilbee in collaboration with Andy Taylor. I just got it. Much like a Flumpet, but a copper bell and leadpipe. Sounds very dark and smooth. I'm still getting a feel for it. I will give a review after some time.Maybe post some pics, if I can figure out how to do so.

10. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I would like to read the review. To upload, I think all you do is post to a hosting site like photobucket and put in img code in the post but I'm not sure. I couldn't find the thread explaining it.