Forming Aperture

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Sep 6, 2011.

1. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    "Great people talk about ideas. Average people talk about things. Small people talk about other people."

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    First, I don't think there are that many trumpet teachers / tutors that can truly instruct you on how to form an aperture and develop your embouchure, and among these I'll include myself. Still, I give it a go and first say that 90% of all improvement arrives only from diligent practice. The "cooling soup" discription to form an aperture is very vague, but in the right direction. The first time I asked a student to do this his lips folded outward and he blew as hard as he could, and this is totally wrong. I sat back and mentally envisoned his soup splattering all over the tablecloth. Just bring your lips together and then just open them enough to gently blow air outward. Next with your tongue wet your lips and start the same again and this time while continuing to blow bring your lips together to the position where you have a slight buzz sensation as you continue blowing. It is the control of this "buzz" that is the essence of playing all the brass horns.

My method next introduces a mouthpiece and a coffee stirring straw that will pass thorough a 7C mouthpiece. (For this I distribute sanitized Kelly crystal clear mouthpieces). Place the straw between your lips and slide the mouthpiece over it until the mouthpiece encounters your lips and remove the straw. While you continue to hold the mouthpiece against your lips I pass a hand mirror for each to see where the mouthpiece sits on their lips. Then I ask if such is comfortable. If so, we can ignore all this talk about "pink" and "red" and rely upon what Arban stated. After having the student(s) repeat the placement of the mouthpiece against their lips several times without using the strawand checking such with the mirror, I proceed to have them wet their lips again and with the mouthpiece pressed against their lips lightly, I ask them to again buzz as they blow into the mouthpiece. Next, using the Kelly mouthpieces, I explain the rim, cup, throat, venturi and shank and collect them while they can keep the straws to practice at home with their own mouthpieces.

So concludes my lesson on APERTURE!

3. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Mendez -yeah, THAT Mendez - would not allow his beginning students to even blow into a mouthpiece until the student could form an M shape and could free buzz. He would then give the student a mouthpiece and have him buzz the mouthpiece until Mendez was satisfied with the sound. Only then would the student be given the trumpet. This method could take weeks.
    Me, I teach the "M" and give the student a mouthpiece to buzz in, but the first thing I show is a proper relaxed breath intake and exhale. Intake like a yawn or sigh and a smooth, immediate release of the air while thinking of making a candle flicker, but not blow out.
    Depending on the student, this can take 10 minutes or an hour, but once I am satisfied we use the "M", the mouthpiece, the air intake, and the buzz on the mouthpiece into horn and see the results. Usually, we have a clean G or 3rd space C with a very happy student.
    I do not advocate a free buzz with a beginner. I believe that can possibly result in a too open aperture. I do set the mouthpiece in what should be a good spot, but will adjust it if the student needs it. I have purchased a clear mouthpiece and find it utterly useless. They fog up too fast to really see what is going on. I use my ears to judge the quality of sound.
    We are not teaching quantum physics or trying to understand the prospect of faster than light travel. We are just teaching someone to make a nice sound on a trumpet and often over-complicate it this process with theory after theory.
    Rich T.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The duration it takes to achieve success is so loaded with variables that I find it much easier to cope with matters at hand.

As for breathing, I had one student tell me off. Paraphrasing, he told me he knew how to breath and if I thought he was stupid about breathing, he believed I was stupid. While it was his choice and not mine, he never returned to my class. He was right, as I later found out he was on both the high school track team and swim team. Thereafter, I never went beyond telling them to relax and breath deeply. The sad part is that he never learned to play a brass instrument (that I know of).

I do not use the Kellys for me to visualize. If there is a need for that, I use the right tool, a visualizer. Otherwise, I wouldn't say they are "useless" as any who play in frigid weather will tell you otherwise, including many pros. Otherwise, they are economical both in purchase price and durability, especially ideal for younger student usage. However, I do develop their interest in how their instrument works, whereas they can see it with the crystal clear Kelly.

I really don't have an expectation of perfect sound production ... ever from students. If I did, why would I be tutoring them? That said, about the fourth session I begin to hear recognizable notes from most beginning students and thereafter progressive improvement ... if they diligently practice. Currently, I'm in regular contact with their instrumental music instructor in the public schools here and exchange comment about a student I'm tutoring.

Shucks, I now have to practice as much as any student does to regain my capability following major dental and health issues, but admittedly I now have much more time on hand to do so.

5. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I don't think Kelly's are bad mouthpieces. I have a clear one and used it once in 20 degree temps. The problem I have is the clear ones fill with moisture too quickly to see into. Visualizers are the only tool that works - if you need it.
    Rich T.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Frankmike, you have two choices. The first one is to start your own thread if you have a grudge with me. Your posts do not even loosely fit this topic. The second is to look back at the Moshe/Morris posts and think about what you read. Actually, there is also a third option for you.

If you don't, I won't censor anything, but I will move the posts that do not apply to this thread into another called "Frankmikes heartburn with rowuk". You will be able to find it in the lounge as it is non trumpet. My record is easily checked. 2 bans since 2006, hundreds of PMs, no issue with Reinhart, American (also posted many times).

I did not say that no one died (or that anyone did). I said that Moshe does not post anywhere anymore. If you look around at other non-TM forums where Moshe was active, there has been nothing posted since the "died" time. You can draw your own conclusion.

If you want to post bad things about me, get the record straight. I do not know why you need to post mistruths. I am inviting you to stop.

TMers, please do not pile on here. FM has his views. This is not the first time.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    When forming the embouchure, I was taught to say the word "Mum", or for a few of you "Mom", and hold the shape of the final "M". With that in place pull the corners of your mouth - JUST the corners - in against the teeth. So the embouchure resembles a draw string purse, with the tight corners represented by the drawstring and the lips being the floppy loose bit above - thus allowing for 'movement' in the lips and support from the ring of muscles around the mouth.

When I'm having a little angst forming a note this is the set-up I return to, then I think the note, and a quick breath down into the gut and hold the tension down their - keeping it away from my neck - now, exhale / play. Sometimes the lips have to be pursed a tiny tiny bit.

Officionados - what do you reckon?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Very nicely stated. I posted a similar recommendation on the topic on another thread, but this is put so nicely. It is kinda like playing from the soul.