Forward jaw troubles

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DISHOA, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    To the OP, Is your current teacher helping you with this? Not sure how for you are moving your jaw forward. I would have to see and hear you play. If your current teacher isn't helping you, try another teacher. Get a second opinion. Not all teachers are equal. Some of them didn't graduate at the top of their class.

If you feel your throat closing ( it doesn't) you could be arching the back of your tongue way too much. You may be doing this without realizing it. Do you get a nasal sound?

2. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Where? Find me even ONE INSTANCE that i have trashed another forum members name. Or at least one where I have started a hissy fit dialogue. Hint: You won't find any.

That said I do and have taken ideas to task that are ill founded. Plus at times I will hold a forum member to task for directly engaging in personal attacks such as you yourself seem inclined to do. I find it best to not leave such attacks unanswered. I could be wrong about this but is my policy.

I welcome new ideas but must admit that I haven't seen one from you. Not yet anyway. If you have something positive to bring to the table? Please do it. However when you are off base you ought to be held accountable.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Local,
    there have been successful trumpet players and teachers for centuries, long before you presented your idea. There is merit in the KISS approach, even although for the trumpet, most get the urge to clean their act up after years of building bad habits. That reality does not go away with your simplistic view of things.

You have brought nothing "new" to the table, and should not criticize successful teachers for in your words the same behaviour. I find the attitude that only you are right and your general claim that most all others aren't to be pretty naive as well as simply wrong. There are too many fine players (and teachers)out there that I am more willing to believe because of the RESULTS that they continually get - unlike the unprovable CLAIMS on an internet forum.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    You say you scream at your students. That is abusive and unprofessional be any standard. Even yelling is unacceptable. You are not a sports coach or a military drill instructor. You call yourself a trumpet teacher? In every teachers method, manual, etc. they say NEVER even yell at a student. Once you do you've lost all control of the situation and yourself. What kind of teaching method calls for this kind of abusive immature behavior? The fact that you bragged about it is very disturbing.

As a professional teacher for many, many years I'm deeply offended that you would think this behavior is acceptable.

codyb226 and Dupac like this.
  5. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Perhaps I shouldn't this poster to task publicly here. However I have found that one should not allow a bully's thoughts, words or statements go unanswered.

As we (or we all should know by now) know Bob Grier is a BALD FACED LIAR.

Provable as easily as reading my words and comparing him to his TWISTED statements and falsehood he regularly presents in his personal attacks against myself and others. Again ON A REGULAR BASIS Mr. Grier twists words, puts words in my mouth and fails utterly to debate in a cordial, constructive way.

It is not my policy to complain to moderators and I won't at this time or probably ever. I will however recommend that others on this forum not reply or give response/replies to Mr. Grier. We only feed these type by allowing bandwidth to their words.

Trolls are like the proverbial turds in the swimming pool. bringing their smell onto everyone they contact.

Again: forum members should not feed trolls.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Behavior like this is not acceptable and will not be tolerated. Local, you deserve the break that I just gave you.

Bob Grier is a TM member is excellent standing that regularly contributes and offers a helping hand. I don't believe in censure which is why the miserable post is not deleted as well. Its content will serve to help others determine what to think about you.

The ban is not permanent. More behavior like this will make you permanently "unwelcome".

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Reading this forum has become more and more akin to watching some weird freakshow of oversized egos competing to determine who has the biggest ego. I am losing interest. Sweeping claims without substantiation. Specific accusations without quotes. Dismissive attitude toward those who differ in intepretation. Aggressive verbiage, use of all-caps, which is the online equivalent of shouting, self contradictory arguments made for the sake of arguing etc, etc. It's like a mix of election year politics with a little Jerry Springer.

Local does not show himself in the best possible light here. However, all of us should carefully examine how we too often act in similar ways. It is my opinion that the overall tone of the forum has degraded to include more personal attacks, more all-caps and more aggression in general. That is unfortunate.

I think I'll ban myself for a little while too. I'd rather surf YouTube for that occasional little, never-heard-before gem than read, or worse even, participate in such sterile proceedings.

Here is a couple that I discovered recently, if anyone here still enjoys music, click on the links, it's worth the few minutes.

Uzeb "Loose", feat/Tiger Okoshi - 1/2 - YouTube

Uzeb - Mister Moe (live in Montreal) - YouTube

Tiger Okoshi's solo starts at 2.23 in the 1st, 3.05 in the 2nd, for those not patient enough for the excellent UZEB intro. UZEB was always written in all caps, I'm not shouting...

Another style but a level of lyricism we should all strive for:
    Bizet - Je crois entendre encore - Alain Vanzo - YouTube