found something i'm good at?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldgit, Oct 23, 2010.

1. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    I may have found something, in the world of trumpet playing that i am good at?
    Long notes, i can play a middle staff g and hold the note for over 1 1/2 minutes. Is that good?
    The question to you guys is is that good?
    In all other areas of trumpet i am not up to the mark yet it would be great to have one thing close as a bit of motivation.
    :play:

2. Smithi20

Smithi20 Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2007
    London
    the great thing about practicing long notes is that you can make them sound wonderful! Go for 30 seconds of pure beautiful sound and you´ll feel great!

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yea, that's good!

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Are you holding the G on one breath? If so that's really good.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Hey - that is awesome!!!!. To be perfectly honest with you-- that is what helped my comeback to be what it is. 2nd line G's and the Cat Anderson Method.. Oh I can't do all of his method --- but the principle of a 2nd line G and holding that as long as possible, and then replaying for up to 20 minutes ----- that builds enurance, and chop strength. ----- it took me many many months before I could go almost 20 minutes ------ you are definitely on track ---keep it up!!!!!!! a little progress at a time -- slow and steady wins the race --- you are a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    thanks for the replys, feel motivated already, this trumpet playing is the hardest thing i have ever done, just when you feel your getting it you lose part of it and have to wait for it to come back.
    found the ironman triathlon easier, maybe thats why i am enjoying it so much!

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'd say that a 90 second long tone is pretty danged good, but I agree with others who say to think more along the lines that it's less about the length of time and more about the quality. 45-60 seconds of quality long tone - now that's something to aspire to!

8. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    I can do 45 seconds, but after that I start to feel a bit of dizziness, but I still have some air left. How come? So if not for dizziness I could maybe go up to even 50