Four months after

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    ChetFan, he plays better than you.

So what?

I don't care if you're a good player, bad, experienced or beginner. If you want to talk trumpet, that's cool. And if you want feedback, that's cool too, but that doesn't mean you have to like what people say.

As for what you've said about Nick, that's completely uncalled for. He was a bit harsh in his words about beginners posting video, but you asked for it, so be a man and take it. Instead you resorted to petty name calling. Weak.

You suedo political rants above don't even make sense, let along relate to the trumpet or this thread.

You probably won't listen, but I'll give you a trumpet tip too. Your sound is very pinched. Relax and breathe fully. Play with flow, not tension.

2. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    thread is cleaned up, because I was politely asked via PM

I still stand by what I said earlier though.

3. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    What are your goals? If you're having fun, why give it up?

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    This is the most bizarre thread I've seen on this site.

A beginner puts videos of himself playing and asks for opinions. He gets opinions and then starts lashing out against the forum and posting videos of other players as a comparison? Then it turns out that the OP is asking us to vote on wether or not he shouild quit alltogether? Very strange.

To chet fan I'll say that yes, you sound like a beginner in both clips. Yes, the old guy in the other clip you posted sounds better than you. What does that tell you? Well, it should tell you that playing the trumpet well takes years of dedicated practice. If you don't have the time or patience for that, then yes, you should quit.

If you're serious about learning how to play, then stop looking for validation on internet sites. Practice diligently and start playing. The better you practice and play, the more jobs you'll get. Otherwise simply quit. Quitting is easy. Playing the trumpet is not.

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Thank you, Breke. I do not need to defend myself. When you, Chet, realize that every action of yours have impact on your life and the life of the people around you, probably only then you will understand why I am against posting such clips on internet and make it available to the general public. You need to learn the meaning of the word "discretion".

If I needed a psycho-analysis, an Internet forum would be the last place to look for. I stand by all my statements written in public or privately to you. This is not the first time you are bashing people because of the critics you asked for. I agree with most comments till now and suggest that you re-read gbdeamer's post. If I was harsh (see Pedal C's comment) it is because you haven't put in practice any of the advices you have been given in your first thread, few months ago.

6. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    You don't really seem to have any breath support. Try this. Make a loud sh noise until you are out of air, then allow the air to enter your body in a relaxed manner. Repeat this and make it part of your initial warm up
    Reason: It allows you to breath properly without throatr tension. Try to apply this to your playing.
    initially it is not a good thing to allow too much rubato or time variance in your playing. Tap your foot on 2 and 4. It may give you a better swing feel and more consitency of meter.

tedh1951 likes this.
  7. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Chet,

You did a brave thing by posting your videos and seeking critical opinions of your progress.

However, once criticism was shared, you apparently became angry and the tone of your responses became rather strange and abusive. Did you not think when you asked for an opinion that they would be free of constructive criticism?

I believe much of the criticism of your playing was fair whether you accept it or not? Practice over time will help turn criticism to praise. However, maturity and attitude have to be developed along the way and you might consider learning some things in those areas, too.

Best wishes on your success,

Lloyd

8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I feel I must jump in a little here, I do largely agree with the criticism of the OP, however I feel that there has to be some form of self censorship, some of his reaction to criticism, whether he found it fair or not has been abusive. I know this is an open forum but there are some sensible youngsters who both read and post on here and this is not the image I would like trumpetmaster to project to these young people and perhaps their parents. This is a plea to keep it friendly and to accept criticism graciously, it is after all an opinion.

Andrew

9. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    Not 100% open, in that there are moderators. I am a moderator on another forum. If the tone of the thread reaches the point of personal attacks, which I believe it has here, it is my duty to lock or hide the discussion.

10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Please stop making these weird, stupid and thoughtless politic and racist comments about things that you DON'T KNOW. I would like to see you play better than communist comrades such as Timofei Dokshizer , Valery Ponomarev and Sergei Nakariakov to name just a few.

I suggest that you start by learning to spell correctly in your own language. Then try to respect people from other countries and cultures. That would be a better start to any improvement than calling people names. Don't call for criticism if you cannot handle it. A bit of common sense won't hurt you either.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.