Four months after

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    In, "How High is the Moon", I thought you sounded better in the November version. In Four, I really didn't notice that much of a difference between the two.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  2. Big Daddy

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    First of all I have no idea what you are talking about with the preacher comment. I have 3 kids running around aged 1,3 & 5. So if I had a typo it wasn't on purpose. (And this comment from you a person who's comments are full of typos.)

Rather than ask in a nice way what I meant you insult because you assume the world is out to get you. After reading 5 pages of this thread it seems you have a problem with everyone. I tried to be nice and give you my opinion as I have only been playing less than a year and am also a Chet Baker Fan.

You know what I do when I'm not practicing at least an hour a day in my free time? Researching, listening, watching, asking questions of other trumpet players and looking for different trumpets to play. If someone has a critique with my playing whether I asked for it or not, I listen and than either take what they said and implement it in my routine or not. I don't criticize the person and or their comment. It's my decision in the end what to do with what they said. Every week I get better than the last and that's all I ask for.

3. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Nice pix of your horns, Big Daddy!

4. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    Hey bud, forgive me, I didn't read most of the last multiple pages of posts... I am rather lazy that way.

Anyway, concerning your clips...

Kudos on recording and seeking criticism. It's one of the quickest ways to improving.
    If you where a student of mine, I'd ask you first, what do YOU think you sound like? What would YOU change?

Think about that, because if you don't have a solid idea of your sound goals... you are spinning your wheels.

Now, you asked for honesty, so here is my opinion, or more accurately, what I would be identifying as weaknesses if I were you.

Your style comes off as amateurish. This is the result of being unfamiliar with the jazz language. You gotta listen a lot more. If you listen to crap, that's what you'll hear(from your horn). It does make a huge difference. You ever hear the phrase "You are what you eat?", well, in music and jazz especially, You are what you listen to. Emulate good players and you'll be a good player.

Your time is not good. Internalize the style, and the tempo. Metronome is a must, playing along with recordings (originals) helps A LOT in this area. I feel it's ESSENTIAL for beginners to play along with masters. It not only helps you to internalize the language of jazz, but it helps TIME, TUNING, SOUND, ARTICULATION, and your EARS. That's the whole shebang. If you can do that, your on your way. PLAY - ALONG - WITH - RECORDINGS!

Your sound is a bit amateurish as well. If your in the first few years of playing, this is not really unexpected, but it is THE most important thing to develop. Again, you need to listen, emulate, and ALWAYS strive to achieve your sound goals. The longer I play, my ideal sound changes as I listen more and get better.

Bottom line, it's not going to happen overnight, a year is really not that long in the world of trumpet playing, although you CAN make huge progress if you apply yourself.

Listen.

Emulate.

Repeat.

5. Big Daddy

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks IMF! The Olds Recording is with Kanstul right now getting a check up and some lacquer work done and I miss her. :D

6. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    What do we learn from this?
    1.If you post a clip on this site and ask for criticism, it is very likely that that is what you are going to get.
    (Funny, I posted a link to some of my playing and hardly got a response)
    2.You don't know anything really about the credibility/experience of anyone on this site. Even Rowuk has hidden his true identity. He may be a raw beginner giving very unsound advice.(Hardly likely though as his posts are usually backed up with sound philosophy.
    3. I am the only poster on this site you can trust:evil:

A lot of people on this site give advice on all sorts of topics. Some are extremely knowledgeable, and some don't have a clue. Our young poster has given advice in the past and some people are upset after hearing his level of competence.HELLO!!!!! There is nothing to say that 90% of people giving advice on this site have any idea at all. The difference is that they have not posted a clip of their playing to show us their level of capability.
    When people post responses to a problem, for goodness sake don't take them as gospel. On line trumpet posting is like fishing. There are a few people out there claiming to have caught marlins when they have trouble baiting a hook.

7. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    He isn't very young. I looked at his old "Playing with no valves" thread. He looks to be in his 30s, at least.

8. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    It's a mixed bag here. There is an incredible range of ability, age, wisdom and sanity. People's perception of reality is the darndest thing.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is a shame. I go on a business trip to the states, don't get on line for a while and tghreads like this develop. Before locking it down, I also have a comment.

The internet is a free for all. When someone posts soundclips, they will get various comments, regardless of their playing qualities.

If one is too immature just to read the comments and take them at face value, then they should not post. To try and blog down the critics makes no sense.

Chet Fan has shown that he/she is not mature enough to take the advice : work on your breathing, rhythm, attitude. The comments about political origin are unfounded and uncalled for. I have deleted most of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.