Frank Minear Routine - Advanced Daily Warm Up and Range Routine

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rich Wetzel, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Rich Wetzel

Rich Wetzel Pianissimo User

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    Frank Minear Method - Advanced Daily Warm Up and Range Routine

This has been out of print for some time and occassionally folks ask me about it, so here it is if you are so inclined:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...GMtMDRlZi00OWZhLWI2MWQtMDMwNGZiOWYxNDNl&hl=en

This is the first thing I do everyday. Main thing is do it at a moderate volume, medium, do not blast. Then I usually move on to playing tunes, 6-7 tunes, can be jazz or lead charts at comfortable medium volume, do a set of lip slurs and call it good till a gig or rehearsal later that night or just chill till tomorrow. If my playing that day or night is real heavy, I may just stop after the Minear routine and save it for the gig.

2. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Frank Minear was a tremendously talented lead trumpet player. Some of his words documented in the book written by Audree Coke and Bill Lee here: (my copy is so well worn there is little of the binding left)

http://books.google.com/books/about/Stan_Kenton.html?id=yFMIAQAAMAAJ

M
    inear described himself as a music educator who was ushered away from his steady day job to play the third or "scream book" on the Kenton band. He always had fat double c's since from an early age. A shame he died so young.

Btw: the Kenton biography is one of the most fascinating books I've ever read.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  3. Rich Wetzel

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    Truer words were never spoken... it was very sudden and unexpected and he was everything you mentioned.

A truly nice guy, super talented educator as well, and a phenominal trumpet player with a real joy and god given ability to teach others, in band and on trumpet. Really a class guy all the way around.

He and I played together many times, loved doing tandem features with he and I on my band, and just hanging out and talking trumpet.

This warm up, daily routine of his, for me, was the best thing I have ever done.

Dupac likes this.
  4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Too bad I was "out of the loop" for so many years - missed hearing or knowing many of the talented players.

That's good enough for me. I'm off to try it. Seems easier and more stimulating than blowing a 'G' for 20 minutes straight.

5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Same for me. Many thanks, Rich !
    Mikel.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Thanks Rich.

7. Rich Wetzel

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    Just a quick note that the rests as prescribed make a big difference, way better results if you do it as noted.

8. Byfbo96

Byfbo96 New Friend

May 15, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks Rich!!!

9. Rich Wetzel

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    The octave slurs can be done one of two ways, either works fine.

1. no half valve at all, just pop through the partials to the octave.
    2. use a half valve between the notes.

Frank liked option 1, I like option 2... though Frank and I both made the observation that either way works just fine and achieves the same results.

Frank believed, as I do, ( ok here it comes, lol ) , that yes there is some ahhh-eeeee tongue arch on the higher octave, higher range stuff. He believed as I do that your tongue is a factor at play in higher range despite the occassional naysayers, all the best high note guys I know and play with will tell you it is a fact, your tongue is a factor. The only guys I see who say it isn't usually are not what I would call exceptional in the upper register, those guys who are know it does make a difference.

I also like to move my tongue slightly forward for stuff above the A above high C , etc...

The bottom line is range and ease of playing in the upper register is more about technique and coordination of the important elements, than one of brute force. That's what Frank's routine helps you develop when played with those concepts in mind, when played at moderate easy volume, relaxed, going for sound and form.

Frank never really talked a lot about or showed any obvious signs of any major roll in, or change in his embouchure that I could see. He and I did talk a couple times about kicking your jaw slightly forward, but he was not hung up on that.

I on the other hand, do start to slide my lower lip up, in, and under my top lip around high c, etc, kind of something I learned when I was back in high school studying with Walt Johnson. On this area I have to admit, I have seen all kinds of embouchures work for guys, unbelievably well, be it roll in, sliding lower lip up and under / in, or guys like Lynn Nicholson who unfurls, rolls out in the extreme register, and all the guys I am thinking of had unbelievable upper register command.

I think Frank's routine can benefit anyone of those or any effective embouchure in that it is the mid to upper register moderate volume coordination and systematic warm up, range, to set your chops and air for the playing ahead. It gets you thinking right and feeling that ease of not blasting or forcing the top, helping it to speak and vibrate freely with just the right amount of effort.

I have seen this work for all the above and I am thankful Frank showed it to me.

10. melza

melza Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2010
    Australia
    looking forward to having a look through