Frankenhorn quetsion

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Heavens2kadonka, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    As some of you all may or may not know, I have had the extreme good fortune to acquire the parts to create a most excellent Frankenhorn. Managed to acquire a 1981 Getzen Severinson, a Stage 1 NY leadpipe, and a Stage 1 California bell at a good price!

Am getting the assembly done by Dan Schultz, "The Brass Tinkerer" at Evansville, Indiana during the later parts of May, or early weeks of June!

Here are some questions that I still have about the finishing touches.

1: Bell-Leadpipe Bracing: I have found that the Getzen had the bracing replaced, a smaller set. I am wondering if acquiring some bracing from other horn makers would affect the sound more how I am wanting, or would it not effect the sound enough to be worth the cost?

2: FINISH: I am really debating on this one. Shotblast or Scratch lacquer? Shotblast looks gorgeous, and I am really leaning towards it, but I am curious as to how it stands up to hands compared to regular or scratch lacquer, if it would require and aggravating amount of attention?

Golding the bell is not out of the question either, though it is only if I can keep the overall price down to a certain level.

What is the sound I am wanting? I want a smooth, brilliant sound. Not dark at all, but I definitely don't want an overly ringy sound, nor do I want piercing howl. The trumpet bell is VERY lightweight, and VERY ringy, like a tuning fork when I ding it. The leadpipe is gold brass, heavyweight reciever. Reversed leadpipe as well, so I will have to move the bracing back anyway. Thats why the bracing question came up.

Van

2. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Van

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    For the bracing between the leadpipe and bell, maybe you could find movable sound posts, that way you could tinker with the placement before you have it permanently soldered on. On of my teachers from Syracuse took his Schilke piccolo and found the best place to put a brace between the fourth slide and the bell. He had someone put a Monette-style fin on it and now the high F RINGS! Just a suggestion.
    -Jimi

4. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Slightly off-point: Discovered the bracing between bell and pipe were for an Eterna cornet. Interesting.

I was considering the Monette-style "fin" (PHAETON more likely candidate) for the back bell bracing, but for the front, I was looking more at the Eclipse brace. That would look really pretty, wouldn't it? :D

Now to see if I can purchase the bracings without the horns from the prospective makers...?

Van

5. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Van

Talk to Roy Lawler about bracing between the bell/leadpipe, his are unique. Also talk to Jason Harrelson about sheet bracing. I would think if you're going for bright use as little extra as you can , maybe just one solid brace at the rear and one like Roy's, only extra thin to let the bell peal!

6. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Pwillini,

I had forgotten about Lawler's three-piece bracing! I'll email him as well. Thanks!

Yes, I am wanting a brighter, sweeter sound, but I also want some overall stability, so the horn doesn't ring like a bloody bell when I pass air through it. You idea about a sheet brace on the end, and an EXTRA thin brace at the front does interest me, though.

I'm pretty well stuck on the shotblast finish. The satin look will really add to the overall appearance.

I like my horns to get attention, in case no one here has noticed. :D

Van

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I'd be agreeing with the post which recommended "fooling around" with movable braces/soundposts. I seem to recall that there is an aftermarket one that's available? Also you could consider buying the Schilke one... I believe they sell it as an "optional extra" too.

Couple of braces and a soundpost... seems like the way to go. You can adjust until the cows come home (you might have to in order to find that "magic" location) before firing up the torch.

If you go to the "other site" there is a cat named Ken Fung from Hong Kong who has quite a procedure for "sweeting up" a certain brand of pro horn and he's found that what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another horn (even if it looks like it came from the same batch). He has the entire process on his website... you might email him and check it out.

8. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Spoke with Felix on the phone about thirty minutes ago about bracing. Cleared up some things about this project.

Something I didn't know: "Balance" is an issue with bracing. Meaning, if you put a lot of weight on the back, and nothing on the front, there will be stress on the bell, creating problems in the optimum sound. Stress is also created if the bracing isnt put directly on the "sweet spot." I'm sure you brass tech buffs will back me up/correct me on this. I sometimes dont get everything over phone convos. :D

Am going to have to work this bracing issue out a bit further. No crazy ideas right now.

The soundposts will be looked into. Thanks guys. I need to be kept in line sometimes (Shoot, most of the time!).

BTW, Toots could you PM me the guy's website? I tend to stay away form the "Other place." Far, far, far away.... :D

Van

9. kingofthemill

kingofthemill New Friend

Jan 31, 2005
    detroit, MI
  10. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    THANKS for the link! Not only did it help me realize the importance of bracing location, it also made for some good reading!

Still in the process of getting the bracing. Worked out pricing of the final work with Mr. Schultz, and have a TENATIVE date set for when I'll go up to Indiana, and try out the finished product.

Hopefully, the date will fall on the local Community Band's practice day! I plan on having the entire trumpet section of the ODCB give their blessings on this horn before I am satisfied...

OTHER UPDATE Just found out I MIGHT be able to find an Olds horn body for a good price. Long shot, could be crap, but its worth a phone call. Will keep you all posted.

Van