Frankfurt Music Messe

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Jarrett, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    Well, went to the Messe yesterday and had a real good time... actually got to meet Felix from New York Trumpet Company and played all the horns he had on display there. These were my impressions.
    First off, I picked up the Phaeton and found it to be a really even playing horn. I was pretty impressed with it off the bat and from the 2 I played I think they are going to do quite well if people get the chance to play on them like I did... The fit and finish reminded me alot of Leigh's work actually (maybe that's why I played those first) and played really nicely in tune from the bottom to as high as I cared to play in his booth (high c). Really impressed.
    He also had a few Eclipses, and surprisingly, some new Olds on display. The Olds played pretty nice and I was pleasantly surprised at the intonation and valves on them. Nice horns.
    I then went straight over to the Inderbinen stand and played some of their weird lookin horns just to see what the deal was. Every horn Inderbinen had played remarkably even and weren't overbearingly dark, but I couldn't get over the looks and weight. Really heavy, and really weird coatings and bracing everywhere... I wasn't a fan of the looks but they did play very well.
    The Bachs played like Bachs (I like Bachs) and the Kanstuls played like Kanstuls (I also like Kanstuls) but the biggest surprise for me were the Amati horns. After having played so many other professional and handmade horns Mike (freshbrewed) and I decided that we would play a game called "How bad can they play" and we went in search of the traditionally "bad" playing horns ie... Amati, Chinese horns... etc... The chinese horns were really bad.... I can honestly say that. However, the Amati's played really well! I had to tear myself away from the professional line Amati Bb because I was in danger of buying one for the value alone. If you get the chance I'd really recommend trying one of these just to see. If I had to, I'd say they play alot like the Kanstul horns.
    These were the major stands I visited... I won't say anything bad about some of the other horns I'd played just because I don't wanna offend anyone but there were a few funky ideas out there that I really didn't like
    ie... dimple brass bells... imbedded gems and stuff... really weird.
    Oh, and I'd recommend checkin out the new BAM cases... they are soon releasing a trumpet case with an almost carbon fiber like shell and if the trombone cases were any indication, they are super light, super strong and really slick lookin. I'll probably buy one.
    Also, check out Soundwear Cases. These things are hand built in Erlangen Germany (bout 20 minutes from me) and they are some really cool flight cases that fit 2 horns and a flugel in a small carryon sized case with a ton of storage room... Mike and I are going to visit the shop on Saturday. Anyway that was my day, I'm sure Leigh and Gary will have more to add. Later.
    -Jarrett
    Oh, I'd give an impression of the Eclipses, but you can get that anytime... I've probably played about 20 of them.

2. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    I also went to the Messe and played the new Bach NY 197. It's a nice playing trumpet like a ML37 but a bit tighter.

[​IMG]

I also saw/played the new Yammi C and played all Inderbinens :

[​IMG]

I also talked to Leigh and played on a Eclipse flugelhorn. Nice guy, nice horn...

3. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, the Amati was quite a surprise.........a pleasant one! :D My favorite part of the day was drinking a few beers with Gary and Jarrett because this was our last Music Messe together. :cry: There were also some trumpets made by a younger guy in Nuernberg, Germany that played extremely well. He was also the guy selling the great cases. Looking at your avatar, I think I may have seen you at the Messe Veldkamp. Were you there on the 6th? Just curious. Take care all.

4. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    No, I was there on friday.

Christoph Endres of Blech-In is the guy you mentioned. He makes nice horns. I already tried them in his shop last year. They played very nice.

I played a couple of Amati's, I'm not shure which ones. They didn't play bad, but not good either. Probably good for their price.

5. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    Hi Guys.
    it was very nice of you to visit my booth,but why didn't you say who you were?I don't even know what you guys look like.I would have really liked to know your names and have some pictures taken with you,the only way i know you is by your TM names.Well,next year you will just have to come back :D

Felix

6. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    I wanted to talk to you,but instead I talked to Leigh. After a long talk with him and with Olaf afterwards and playing on some of your horns I went on to check some other brands... :dontknow:

7. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    Very cool.Leigh was with me for 4 days,what a pleasure!It was very interesting and very nice to see Leigh helping me out with the horns,and not only with Eclipse.He knew more about my own horns then I did :D .
    He build most of them anyway :D.I had a great team with me,that made it so much easier and better for me,this was my first time out there.
    Leigh,Olaf,Gery Wilder,Ron Heyes,Anton Possegger,Mr.Kato.......You cannot get any better than that.

Felix

8. Castle Bravo

Castle Bravo Piano User

Nov 6, 2003
    Sche├člitz, Germany
    Don't forget Pete LaPlaca... :-)

Stage ones were quite nice, I must say - fun horns to play!

9. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    Hey Felix, Me and Mike where the guys on the first day that had the discussion with you of a certain people accidently damaging 3 horns that day. I would've introduced myself by my TM name but , honestly I didn't think you'd recognize me as I don't post very much. It was nice talking with you though, I enjoyed playing the phaetons very much. I missed Leigh though, I was kinda pissed but I just didn't have the time to stay that nite and I had gigs the next 2 days as well. Oh well, I gotta call Leigh anyway. Maybe next year huh?
    -Jarrett

10. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    OK,the 3 damaged horns.That was nice,wasn't it? :x
    Now i remember :D
    It was an absolute pleasure meeting all the guys there.
    I would expect you all to come back next year,so we can take some pics for TM :D

Forget Pete?How can i forget him?
    Pete is in the different leaque,If it wasn't for him,I wouldn't be there.
    I think I should build a monument for him :D