Freaks?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dburn, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Dburn

Dburn New Friend

May 21, 2010
    After 3 months I can finally hit the G and A above the staff without worrying that I am going to crash and burn.

All I can figure is that you Double C guys possess some sort of Freakish SUPER POWERS! :D

2. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    No, they've been practicing longer. A lot longer. And probably had good instruction or were lucky enough to figure it out mostly on their own. I'm pretty sure double high C takes YEARS and most never reach it - not that a lot of players really need it.

3. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Playing in the upper register is a skill that can be learned. Yes, there are personal limitations, but I don't think that playing up to G or A above high C is being a freak. Most accomplished classical players are able to play up to an F or G above high C. You have to be able to play past your expected range for the style of music you play to give yourself a comfort zone.

Practicing more does not automatically give you more range if you are using your mechanics incorrectly. Using your air efficiently, and not using excessive pressure is important. Taking a few lessons from someone who can do this may be a good idea.

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Actually it's technique and not anything mystical,such super powers. For some it comes naturally,some have to be taught,some figure it out by themselves, most have no clue how to play in this register.They tell their students that the ones who do play those notes are lucky or blessed,the natural ones might be,but the rest aren't.They learned how to do it, this technique of air,lips,tongue,and jaw, can be learned. Most players are working way too hard when trying to play up to double C.
    As stated above you might not ever use or need a double C ,but it's nice to have. I've been playing lead exclusively since 1975 when I finally figured it out for myself at age 25. In all this time I have never had to triple tongue anything but I still learned it and can use it if it's called for.So my point is even if you don't need something ,it can't hurt to be able do it.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Jeff Smiley advertises/teaches the balanced embouchure and says he can guarantee a G above C. I've never tried it (too cheap to buy another embouchure book) but have heard a lot of guys like it. But like the others have said, it takes years of work to develop a good range.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Dburn sez:
    All I can figure is that you Double C guys possess some sort of Freakish SUPER POWERS!
    ---------
    Thank you! I wonder if Stan Lee knows about this?
    But seriously, I remember working very diligently on this and still do so to maintain it. The hard part isn't hitting notes in the stratosphere. Just hitting high notes is akin to using the trumpet as a musical weapon.
    Its being musical in the stratosphere, that's hard.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Markie,

Being musical in the mid-ranges is the hard bit for some of us :shock:.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Any really good teacher's students can achieve this. there's no secret just good solid skill training. Playing a musical instrument is a skill. If you have solid fundamentals then it's just a matter of growth and development.

9. Dburn

Dburn New Friend

May 21, 2010
    Well, if I ever get anyway near Double-C, i'm going to start wearing a cape!

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land

.... and your undies on the outside? ROFL