Freaks?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dburn, Sep 5, 2010.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that those players with extended high registers are freak!

Patience, diligence, and common sense are indeed a rare and extraordinary combination.

Unfortunately, most all of our bodies, mouthpieces and trumpets are suitable for high register work so that we freaks cannot claim anything useful for a circus...... I have thought about wearing a cape to the next lead gig that I have though.....

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    :shhh:

3. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Pictures, or it never happened....:-P

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I am a comeback player at 45 yrs. (quit for 7 yrs.)- so my previous range was like D above high C--I always sat 2nd or 3rd chair in school -- and after like 30 yrs --D was it, and didnt' always sound good.
    Look --- now at 45 --- I have a Double High C, and working on a note or two higher. It's not Freakish --- it is hard work. Im 21 months into a comeback -- and racking up almost 2000 hrs of practice in that time. So long tones(many months just a 2nd line G for 20 minutes each day -that is correct 2nd line G in the staff), then gradually go higher ---the higher you go the faster the air needed, and play softly, and be patient with yourself, and take breaks, and one hard day - then go easy the next day - this gives face muscles recoop time. And octave slurs, and all lip slurs, and tonguing, and be patient with yourself, and practice. And all of this with trying to keep the face muscles tight and the lips loose enough to vibrate ---- oh did I mention keep a small aperture? It's small aperture (but not too small) and fast air and muscles to hold it all in place --- did I mention time, practice, and patience with yourself????
    so be a freak it is fun--- but give yourself 2000+ hours of focused, repetitive and intelligent practice ---- but that is just my opinion

5. Dburn

Dburn New Friend

May 21, 2010
    Ok, I get it... Practice Practice Practice... But I'm still going to wear a Cape and my undies on the outside (thanks Ted!) when I get there.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    .... clean ......

7. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I too want to be able to hit that double C in the song "live and let die", you know the part.

"Know you know you have a job to do and you have to do it well, you have to give the other guy hell!" <--double high C.

I yearn for the day I can play some of those upper harmonics above double Bb the second and the third maybe even the tri-tone, I didn't realize they were so hard to get to, or I would have played horn or something.

8. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    In reality, there are very few gigs that require a Double C. i've made pretty good money out of music over the last 25 years and I don't have a double C, nor have i seen a chart that requires one.

9. Moshe Mizrachi

Moshe Mizrachi Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2010
    1. A chauffeur is not required to drive as fast as a race car driver,
    but a chauffeur doesn't get paid as well as a race car driver, either.
    Lead trumpet is paid better than 4th chair trumpet, and headliner makes even more money than that.

2. TH and TM have had many posts from High School and College students saying that they have been given sheet music requiring High F's and High G's.
    If you are going to play a reliable, powerful High F or High G in concert,
    then you better be able to squeak a Double High C at home in practice.

3. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to better yourself and your playing, whether it be in terms of range or tone or flexibility or endurance or sight-reading ability.

4. If playing Double High C's at home makes me happy, then I need no other justification for the years that I put in to finally achieve that feat and the work I still do to maintain that feat.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  10. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009

[​IMG]