Freaks?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dburn, Sep 5, 2010.

1. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Whatever floats your boat.

2. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    I can hit and sustain a solid high C. Haven't had any lesson material with that note in it yet but it is comming in the near future so I know that I will be able to "play it" as I have been higher using pressure, so I do not count that. High C seems to be my upper limit now. I look at some of the transcriptions on the internet for Conte Candoli who does have upper register material above the high C. My ultimate goal would be to play those transcriptions but I know that will take a long time to achive, one chromatic step at a time.

DK

3. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    But let's be honest, chicks dig the high notes. Since guy trumpeters can't get girls through normal means, we have to resort to showing off on the bandstand. :-P

(kidding of course...trumpeters do sometimes get dates...sax players leftovers)

Ok, seriously just kidding. I want to someday get a solid D above single C just so for one brief second in my head I'll BE Maynard (Jr).

4. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    + 1 million :thumbsup:

5. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    An American mate of mine went to some kind of trumpet symposius a couple of years ago that had trade stands where you could try out horns. (we don't have them in OZ sadly) He was amazed that all he could hear were people trying to play the highest note they possibly could. He said that most of them had a sound that could grate cheese. While I can appreciate good range and great lead players, I think the term Double C has become a bit of an obsession for some which lacks musical context. But as I have previously stated..
    Whatever floats your boat.

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    You know what floats my boat,being able to play anything that's put in front in me. I've been working pretty steady for the last 35 years,not counting the 3 years I spent as a military bandsman, and have never seen any music that called for triple tonguing [except in the military],but I can do it if it is. I have played in bands that did have charts written up to double C ,and can also play those.
    Why would anyone be against being a complete player,why limit yourself?

7. Moshe Mizrachi

Moshe Mizrachi Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2010
    I don't see anyone here saying that a player should extend his range while ignoring all other aspects of his playing.

Range is one of many aspects of a person's playing.
    Range should not be emphasized above all other aspects of one's playing,
    but range should also not be relegated to lesser status than other aspects of one's playing.

When I play Double High C's on Wick 3 and Wick 3B mouthpieces and a .485 bore 1966 Conn 5A cornet, I am not using a cheater's hardware.

Heck, I recently asked if anybody knew of a deeper mouthpiece than the Wick 3 so that I could get an even better tone,
    and I am about to experiment with Wick 2 and Wick 2B mouthpieces in an attempt to get that even better tone.
    The Wick 3 cornet mouthpiece is deeper than even the flugel mouthpieces that many companies make.
    So I am playing Double High C's on what is essentially a very deep flugelhorn mouthpiece and a huge-bore flugel-wannabe cornet.

So it was strange that you made that "whatever floats your boat" comment to me earlier in this thread,
    as though I am in the same league with those "cheese grater" players in your post above.

I agree that there are some players who obsess with range and neglect other aspects of their playing, but most players who want to significantly increase their range do not fall into that category.

And there are plenty of players who obsess over other aspects of playing, too.
    Why is it OK to bash players who want to play Double High C's,
    but when I criticize people who obsess with playing Double Pedal C's (that are incompatible with the physics of modern trumpets and cornets), I am called mean and intolerant and ignorant?

As far as trying the highest note on a trumpet when trying out the trumpet, that is called pushing the trumpet to see how well it can do at the extremes.
    Some instruments feel great in the middle register, but they tighten up and feel stuffy in the upper register.
    Or they sound great in the middle register, but they brighten up a lot in the upper register.
    Or with the vintage Connstellations, they actually feel tighter in the lower register and then open up in the upper register (as one reviewer at Conn Loyalist claimed).
    The only way to know how a trumpet will respond in the upper register is to try it in the upper register.

Your complaint sounds like
    "Everybody who tried that new Chevy wanted to get it out on the highway and see how it would perform at 55 miles per hour, when they should have been satisfied with just test driving the Chevy at 30 miles per hour on the local street."
    A wise person would test the Chevy both ways.

A practical reason for developing range up to Double C...
    Everything I do up to High C is now a piece of cake.
    Even the tone up to High C sounds so open and graceful and effortless.
    Because High C is now in my middle range.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  8. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    moshe,
    You seem to be taking this a bit personal. This is just my opinion. 'Whatever floats your boat' in an expression that means 'do whatever makes you happy'. I am very happy that you can play a double C and are proud of your achievements. Good for you.

9. Moshe Mizrachi

Moshe Mizrachi Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2010
    I didn't think you were singling me out.

You were posting the same opinion that Wilmer Wise and others often post here in TM, such as...
    that there is too much emphasis on high note playing,
    that there is no real benefit in high note playing,
    that the job market doesn't require high note playing,
    that high note players are usually lacking in musical skills,
    etc.

I disagree with the people here in TM who often say such things,
    for the reasons I already stated,
    that's what I was trying to say.

10. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    Im with moshe here. Ozboy -you seem so bitter -what is your problem really? Do you sream to be professional tpt player? Are you happy with your life?

You see me and moshe suck at playing tpt, or cornet in moshe's case. But we are happy in our lives. I earn money (decent amount) as accountant and tpt and music is my hobby. As such I am free to love and to enjoy music. So is moshe. You, my friend, are bitter because you are denied that joy. Because you stream towards that proffesional musician dream. You may even get there, but the joy of playing music will be lost forever. As it is the case with most of professional musicians. Once the money gets involved the joy is lost. Ask hookers if you dont beleive.

recently I watched a movie about amateur golf (forgot the name) player from thirties maybe fourties, anyway before ww2. He was better than all the pros, but he wouldnt bcame pro golfer, because, he said that he loves golf too much to became pro. Instead he pursued his carrer as a lawyer.

oh, and just for the record, I hate high notes, anything above the staff. Tpt sounds the best in its natural range