Freaks?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dburn, Sep 5, 2010.

1. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Define the "natural range" of a trumpet.

It's impossible to define because it's different for every person. what feels natural to one may seem ridiculous to another. Wayne Bergeron is a perfect example. He sounds completely natural up in the stratosphere. Not strained, or harsh.

There is nothing wrong with extending your skills to the extreme as long as other areas of skill don't diminish to achieve those results.

I was always taught it was best to be well rounded in your skill set, instead of a one trick pony. If you can hit a double high C with good tone...That's awesome....just be sure you aren't sacrificing tone or technique to get there.

I honestly think the high note thing is so common (particularly among young players) because it is a well defined goal. Hit "the" note. Once hit...it typically is celebrated by young peers as an accomplishment....which pushes them to move on to the next note etc...Other more technical skills are less easy to define as having "nailed" than a note.

Brian

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Great post, KingTrumpet! 2000 hours in 21 months ... I just did the math, that's only about 3 hours a day. I guess the ticket is "focused, repetitive and intelligent practice." Good stuff, thanks for that. Makes it seem very doable.

Btw, does the cape help hit the high notes??? If the shorts are on the outside, and really TIGHT .... does that help? :-? (no doubt these are professional secrets ...)

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Whoah Boss, you're WAY off the beam there. MOST Professional musicians have NOT lost the "joy" of playing music ..... At least on my planet. Earth. Is that where you are???

If you really believe this, give us some examples please.

turtle

I offer this EVIDENCE: Louis Armstrong. :cool:

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    turtlejimmy,
    thanks for quoting me -- I have finally made something of myself -LOL. Yes, pretty much 3 hrs a day. (some days 4.5, some days 1.5) but average 3.
    and of course 2000+ hours doesn't make me Maynard or Wayne Bergeron, or a Doc Severinsen good. But it is a vast change from before.
    perhaps - my age at 45 - to have fun - to have goals - helps to focus the trumpet, and the practices, where at age 20 a 3 hr practice --- well that would have just been silly now ,,- wouldn't it??

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You married? :lol: If you are, what a woman! :thumbsup:

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    turtlejimmy,
    oh btw -- I am not the cape and undie guy -- so I don't know if that helps or not. deep breaths for many months when playing the trumpet for long tones though ---- that will increase your lung capacity.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    tobylou8,
    unfortunately - I am single (never been married)--had I been married then perhaps I would have been more focused in life --

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    SO MANY times in these posts- it is mentioned that the MUSIC is not written for anything that high (ie. above High C, or forbid anything near a Double High C).
    So - Why not write your own music?, take a portion of the song and go 8VA (up an octave)? - or do your own improve at your higher range?
    I leave you with this question?
    Do you think Maynard Ferguson, or Doc Severinsen, or the other great players sat around in a forum -- and stated -- OH the music is not written that high -- so why would I need to play there?
    somehow -- I think they "thought" outside the box, outside what is considered NORMAL RANGE.
    but that is just my opinion. so play, be happy with who you are, and make good music at whatever your level --- and if you are hitting a G or A above the staff-- that is your best -- then be happy ---it doesnt' hurt you to want more --- but be happy doing it.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Turtle

Focused, repetitive and intelligent practice! - KingTrumpet

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I play plenty of music written above the staff, some WAY beyond, and it's church music! Empirical evidence shows the trumpet to be a 7 octave instrument (at least). Yet most are satisfied with low F# to high C. Thats roughly 2.5 octaves and most of that can be played with a static embouchure. The issue it seems to me is it takes work to develop the rest, high and low. Those other 4.5 octaves aint' easy. I can't fathom why someone would ridicule a person's ambition and tenacity for trying to develop the other 4.5 octaves. Keep it up.