Freaks?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dburn, Sep 5, 2010.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Agreed. For me personally it became a point of diminishing returns - I've worked my range up to where I was playing up to G above high C pretty consistently, but the price was that in the approach I was taking at the time, it was detrimental to some other aspects of my playing.

99.5% of the music I'm called on to play is written E and below, and almost all of that is written high C and below, so I've never fretted too much about not having great chops in the stratosphere.

2. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    tobylou8 likes this.
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  4. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Now this is left field. I have made a part time and full time living out of trumpet playing for twenty odd years. I have a great love of music. I've noticed that a fair few of your posts are confrontational and disjointed You know nothing about me. If you read back through my posts on this thread, you will notice that there is nothing derogatory. I made a statement from my experience and you go on with a wild rant. I think you need to talk to someone about your issues.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Unfortunately , he sounds as messed up as the real Chet towards the end.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Lads, lads, lads - understand that we Aussies have a very peculiar sense of humour - and we all express it a little differently. Some of us can express our laughter in language, others of us are not so adept. Some of us really like to see if we can get a reaction from the rest of you - some of us are really good at it, some less so.

Hint: Always assume we are being serious, unless it sounds like we are having fun at your expense, in which case we are probably being sensible.

My experience of those of you from the US (in general) is that you often have trouble deciding if we are kidding or not, those from the UK have less trouble - I think it's a cultural thing.

Remember, we live in a large country, with relatively few people mostly living around the coastline of a very very big desert, we have odd critters here, and generally we all speak exactly the same with almost the same accent across the entire country, and we all understand each others' speech patterns - go figure?

2nd Hint: Always assume the Ted is "taking the piss" - unless it sounds like he is having fun at your expense, in which case he is probably "taking the micky" instead.

If any of this makes sense - then failed I have, young Skywalker. ;-)

7. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Hey Ted,

I thought a critter in USA stood for cow, horse or mule.
    Can't recall hearing any Australian folk mooing ,whinneying or honking maybe?
    Took 3 months to get from Albury to Cooktown so know what I'm talking about.

My wife has never called me a freak however she looks at me "freakishly" when I disturb
    her peace playing 2nd ledger c in the lounge while she's watching Eastenders.

Between the howling dogs and myself she gracefully retires to the bedroom, shuts the door and switches on the telly.

I'll wear my cape one day when my family ask me to play Louis A's "West End Blues" just
    because they think I play it so well....

Could be a while though.

Cheers

Paul.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    tobylou8,
    you are making me famous -- (by quoting me) ---lol. what you say is true though. for example I played last January (13 months into this comeback) at my church for a variety show to help support the radio program. Then I could only play the scales to High C - (I did get out an E above that just for show). BUT I did play like 6 pedal notes down to the A below F#. 100% of the compliments were on this order. "Brother! I have heard high notes, but I never heard anyone play that low on a trumpet before. -- How can you do that???"
    so people were more impressed with the low pedal tones than high notes (well High C high anyhow) --of course this Jan. maybe it will be an F above Double High C, and be able to play the DHC in the national anthem (well there is a DHC in the national anthem, if you put one there - like Arturo, Scott Dean, etc. --youtube)
    and maybe pedals down to C below the pedal A --- but I can't seem to play a song down there -- yet. but I got a few months to go.