Freddie Hubbard CRISIS

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JESTER, Jul 22, 2009.

1. JESTER

JESTER New Friend

May 17, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Hi Guys (Iand Gals)

I enrolled in a Jazz camp to try and get my chops back. I haven't played in 30 years. The final day is a combo concert, and one of the charts we are doing is CRISIS by Freddie Hubbard. I have looked everywhere for a Solo transcription, but I can't locate one. Can anyone give me a heads up of where I can get my hands on one? I would be very grateful. I just don't want to stray to far from the original, not that I'll ever do it justice anyway.

Thanks so much

JESTER

[email protected]

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I could have sworn I have lifted this solo before, but I don't have the file in my Sibelius folder so I guess I didn't. I can sing that solo note for note though. It is one of my favorite Freddie solos.

Also check out Clark Terry playing a really hip solo on Crisis on a Willie Bobo album called Willie's Beat.

3. JESTER

JESTER New Friend

May 17, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks for looking.

4. Dr. Stu

Dr. Stu New Friend

Sep 24, 2005
    New York, NY
    I looked, but do not have it either.

I don't know how soon you need it, but there is a transcription of the Crisis solo in this book...
    Amazon.com: Freddie Hubbard: Trumpet: Freddie Hubbard: Books

I'm not 100% sure it's the version you need, but it's worth a look.

-Stu
    p.s. It wouldn't hurt to ask on the oTHer website either.

5. JESTER

JESTER New Friend

May 17, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks for looking.

I need the chart by Friday. I guess I'll just have to wing it. It'll probably be a gut bucket solo, but oh well.

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    If you didn't have to audition, then this is an open camp where everyone else is in the same boat. They will all likely be 'gut bucket solos' to one extent or another. There are not grades give - except in you own mind - so just go for it and enjoy the time. Maybe you will inspire someone else who is more of a 'bucket case' than you are.

Also, if this is your first outing after a 30-year layoff, you are still way ahead of some of us 'comeback' players who, after that long of a layoff, are back to page 1 of Arbans - and not likely to move to page 2 anytime soon.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany