Freddie

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by wiseone2, Apr 26, 2007.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    My voice is just coming back and I'm going to see Freddie........nice quiet FreddieROFL Freddie is playing at the Iridium with a whole bunch of people.
    Thank goodness there's a ban on smoking in NYC clubs.
    Wilmer

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    The place was jammed!
    I met Jason Parker last night, I am sorry it was such a mob scene.
    I like to sit at the bar,it reminds me of the old days :bravo: Jeremy Pelt shares my feelings we had a chance to hang and talk. Christian McBride was at the bar before he went on stage. I love to hang out in NYC. James Zollar was there with his bride........a big shout-out to Clarence from James. Jimmy Owens was there. It was thrilling to be there.

Freddie looked great.
    The band, James Spaulding, Javon Jackson, David Weiss, Slide Hampton, Louis Hayes, Christian McBride and Ronnie Matthews, was in top form.
    Freddie is coming back from surgery. He played only flugel the set I attended.
    He is getting it together after some very serious physical problems.
    Wilmer

3. JunkyT

JunkyT Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    It was so nice to meet you, Wilmer! For those of you who haven't met him, he is just about the sweetest man you'll ever see, with a smile that lights up a room. I only wish I could've heard you play! Next time...

The night was really amazing. So great to see so many people out, including all the musicians. Jeremy Pelt was dressed to the nines!

Freddie held court all night like a king ruling over his subjects. He looked great, and was in great spirits. He didn't play a lot, as he's just coming back from some health issues, but the band was killin'. Slide Hampton and James Spaulding on flute really stole the show. True masters, both. At one point Freddie said "I wanna hear Spaulding play a ballad" and James picked up his flute and played and exquisite version of "In a Sentimental Mood" with the rhythm section. Who, by the way, was Ronnie Matthews, Christian McBride (holy cow!) and Louis Hayes.

All in all a great night of seeing legends perform. I shook Freddie's hand during the set break (he sat at the piano and talked to everyone who wanted to talk to him), and we somehow ended up in a discussion of Barack Obama!

I hope he continues to play and stay on the scene...we need him!