Free buzzing question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Adrenalyn, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Adrenalyn

Adrenalyn New Friend

Apr 13, 2010
    Hi,
    I have only very recently started lip buzzing in order to improve my range as a beginner player.
    I was having trouble and read on Trumpet Lessons Lip Buzzing Improve Your Sound Lip Buzz Trumpet How to Lip Buzz Trumpet 10 Minute Session that it is helpful to touch the tongue on the back of the bottom lip when doing lip buzzing. It is now much easier to free buzz, but I am wondering if this advise is true because when playing in mouthpiece or trumpet, I don't place my tongue on the back of my lip (or should I be doing so)?

Another question that is coming to my mind is that in order to go from a pedal F# to a F on top of staff (which is my total range), I need to change my embouchure quite a lot (I find I am pulling my lips inside my mouth to reach a higher range and need to open in order to go in pedal tones). Is this normal as a beginner or should I be trying to correct this?

Thank you,
    Samuel

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Samuel, I am one of those who finds lip buzzing terribly difficult and do not see any utility in it for in playing a trumpet, which involves, well, a trumpet. I also see absolutely no utility in playing pedals, which are unnatural on the horn.

Probably the most effective exercise you can do right now that is an "unnatural" exercise is lip slurs. There are a number of different books that include those, including Arban's and many others. Or, you can just do those on your own. I personally use the Bai Lin "Lip Flexibilities" but there are others. I think you'll find these difficult but very rewarding... especially when you do them as a warmup in band class and your classmates can't do them. ;-)

Tom

3. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    So then from a range standpoint it is good to warmup with lip slurs? Then I'd assume just practicing them as much as you can throughout the day? I' really just wondering if there is more of a benifit from doing them as a warmup.

4. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Lip buzzing, lip slurs, mpc buzzing, all good if done within the context of a program under the direction of a good teacher who understands your goals. It seems like a couple of you are going DIY and that's a pretty dicey prospect-- hard to gauge your progress, tough to know when to move to a different exercise or program, you get feedback from who?

IMO there is no range standpoint, there's a playing standpoint. Anyone with experience will tell you that lip slurs and lip buzzing are part of a practice routine for playing the trpt, not for playing high. Those notes almost ALWAYS come with time and the right practice/routine. Discover anything you might during your practice but to not share it with a teacher is a wasted achievement.

Ed

5. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    " . . . , I need to change my embouchure quite a lot (I find I am pulling my lips inside my mouth to reach a higher range and need to open in order to go in pedal tones). Is this normal as a beginner or should I be trying to correct this?

The development of range and endurance is a PROCESS. It will take time and progress will seem SLOW. You should not try to MAKE things happen by moving your lips or mouthpiece radically to change registers: there will be adjustments that happen INSIDE the mouthpiece but what you see outside should be very slight. You should set for a clean middle register note and work upwards and downwards from that natural setpoint; maybe only a few notes at a time. Developing the low register first is like a seed establishing its roots first before sending the stem up: without that foundation, the upper structure will not have adequate support. Remember, developing a low register is part of the PROCESS too.

Work hard but rest often (for no less time than you work - 5 minutes, 5 times a day is better than 25 minutes all at once: a half hour a day is better than three and a half hours the night before your lesson).

Most of all, have fun and enjoy your progress.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is nothing better for learning the trumpet than PLAYING THE TRUMPET.

All of that other stuff is beneficial for the player trying to MAINTAIN. I consider it in the way if vital parts of playing are missing.

7. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Wrong

U

8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Why? Playing the trumpet is like any other skill. it must be learned and practiced to become proficient. Can you learn to ride a bicycle just by reading a book?

Regards, Stuart.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Umm, only thing that is like playing a trumpet, is playing a trumpet. Am an avid free buzzing advocate, along with mpc buzzing, but totally agree with Rowuk. They are maintenance exercises.

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Explain please, you cannot just make a statement like that without backing it up with some prose.