Free Buzzing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bachfella, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    I remember but I was to young to appreciate it.All I remember is that it tasted so vile, I could barely swallow it. Later in life I read a novel, I forget the name, but the main character would soak cigarettes in paragoric, let them dry and smoke them.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Just a note for you newbies out there ........ Don't put Turtle Wax on lacquer or silverplated trumpets (or gold either) ..... just use it for raw brass.

Turtle

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've sometimes the habit of free-buzzing softly when looking at new music, either that or humming, and sometimes twixt the two. Can't say it does much for building or correcting an embouchure or even supports a warm-up but it seems to help get my mind in focus on the music I'm reading and thinking how I would later play it.

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I use it when I am away from home and have to stay at a place where normal practice is not possible.

I have an old mouthpiece which I drilled 5 or 6 holes into the cup, thereby removing almost all back pressure.

I find that with this contraption I have to use more effort to create a decent buzz than with a normal mouthpiece.

A few minutes of buzzing on this piece gives my chops some decent exercise so that when I get home
    and back to playing my chops aren't as out of shape from taking a few days off.

Greg

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Unless you are a teacher / tutor you may not have, or have ever seen a visualizer, but it is perfectly adjunct to use for buzzing ... with zero back-pressure whereas there in no cup or shank, just a rim. The latter you may wish to customize. Still, what you, Greg, suggest would work well enough for buzzing, albeit not quite "free" in doing so.

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Yes, I got the idea from a video that Nick Drozdoff posted where he had a mouthpiece that had most of the cup cut
    away. I decided it was easy and cheaper to just modify an old one I had than spend $100 getting one and they both
    would do about the same thing.

A couple years back I stripped everything of an old valve block and then put the leadpipe, without a slide receiver, back on.
    I used to take that on vacations, but it was pretty noisy too. Now I just take my "holy" mouthpiece.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If I remember Nick's post, his was a "visualizer" he had made. In addition to the option of buzzing with it, it allows a teacher/ tutor to see how the player's lip functions inside the mpc. I'm not sure with yours that the visual aspect is adequate, not to exclude a fiber optic lens connection to a video - recorder.