Free buzzing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by stradivarius151, Nov 24, 2011.

1. stradivarius151

stradivarius151 Pianissimo User

Mar 1, 2010
    Watching myself free buzz in a mirror (no mouthpiece or anything) when I go to higher notes, is my upper lip supposed to curve in? Is it supposed to be jutting out in the first place?

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    You may need to get a little more in depth on HOW it curves it. It may be just a lip roll which isn't bad, however if it is something more along the lines of Tastee Bros that IS bad. A picture would be best for us to truly understand what is going on.

3. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Be VERY aware that free buzzing DONE INCORRECTLY, spreads the embouchure and does nothing beneficial.
    Some great pedagogues recommend it, some don't.
    I do some free buzzing, but keep in to just a minute or under. It is done to loosen the lips a bit and is not done everyday. You'd better do this with a QUALIFIED private instructor watching what you do.
    Rich T.

4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Richtom is extremely correct. A private instructor who knows embouchures would be best qualified to answer this question. For instance, without knowing what embouchure you naturally use in the mouthpiece, we cannot tell you the answer. If you play with top lip curling in (as the Stevens embouchure) then you should free buzz with the same technique. If you don't, then clearly you don't want to develop a free buzz technique that is different from the embouchure you actually play trumpet on.

Richtom is also right about not overdoing it, and it is meant to develop a loosened lip set that still has a focused aperture. This, again, can be best attained with an instructor that knows what they're doing.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Free buzzing has NOTHING to do with trumpet playing. I do not recommend it. I recommend buzzing a bit on the mouthpiece.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    As you can see already, some do, some don't. I will occasionally engage in free buzzing IF I don't have access to my horn, mpc, or hose-a-horn. There are many exercises that can be done without a horn at all. Some are legit in moderation (pencil exercise, lip rolling, deep breathing) and some are nuts (won't post them cause you don't need/want to know them). An embouchure visualizer would be a better way to watch yourself while buzzing and still, this should be done with a competent teacher. There will never be a better substitute for embouchure development other than playing the horn. You can Free Buzz if you want, but playing the horn is better! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I only use it anymore to test to see if my lips are loose and ready to play .... if the free buzz is rough or tight, I do more loose lip flapping. I don't know, I'm probably weird, but I like the first note (out of the trumpet) to sound good. If the free buzz is tight, focused and more like a bee and less like a duck, I'm ready to go.

Probably a complete waste of time, but, hey, I like it.:dontknow:

Turtle

8. stradivarius151

stradivarius151 Pianissimo User

Mar 1, 2010
    What is FB? A technique? Book? Person (like MF)?

Thanks for the help. My private teacher left awhile ago, so I took from my band director. However, summer came, and then marching band so I haven't had a formal lesson in a long time. Marching is over now, so I will try to start again with a new person.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    FB= Free Buzzing. My bad!