Free-mini-clinic in the Chicago area---

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, Nov 21, 2006.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

Hello, folks!

This post is directed at Chicago members only. Sorry!

As a prelude to West Chester, and for folks who are in the Midwest, I plan on doing a FREE-CLINIC on "Understanding Basic, Non-technical, Acoustics/Physics of Trumpet as a Means to Self-Improvement as a Player."

This clinic will be held at New Trier High School (pending approval and choice of date) on a Monday evening at 6:30 PM. It will run to 8:00 PM.

I'll be discussing the function of each part of the horn (mouthpiece, lead pipe, and bell section) in producing the tones we play, pedal tones, high notes, chops, function of air, horn materials and structure.

Included will be a summary of an engineering approach I used to solve some serious chops problems I faced 15 years ago and a newer approach I began developing last May.

The dates under consideration are December 11 and December 18. I'll be doing this lecture in a physics classroom, allowing me to show some things that I would not otherwise be able to show.

Once I get the go ahead from the administration, I'll post a reply here with the actual date and room number (OK, its room 151, but I'll re-post anyway!).

More to follow!!

Nick Drozdoff

2. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Wow Nick,

I wish I could be there....

Many will benefit from this; how generous of you to put it on!

3. 11thchair

11thchair Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Evansville In
    If it was not advent time and a bunch of gigs, I think I would try and make it. Also the declaration that it is for Chicago members only - that presents a problem for my coming. Being a lowly Hoosier.

Sounds extremely interesting (hey I'm an engineer).

4. Thermos

Thermos Pianissimo User

Jul 15, 2006
    I wish I could attend!

Alas, the three hour plane commute might be a bit much :p

very nice of you to put this on, and i do wish i could be there :(

5. NickD

NickD Forte User

11th chair!!!

Yo, 11th Chair! You have misintpreted me!

This isn't exclusively for Chicogans, by any means! It's just that, since I'm doin gthis on a Monday night in the Chicago suburbs, I didn't think folks would want to travel that far. If you can drop by, Hoosiers are more than welcome! Heck, I spent part of my chilhood living in Attica, Indiana! I did a lot of fishing in Pine Creek with my grandpa!

Come by the West Chester event on 1/28 if you can't fall by here.

Seriously, ANYONE is welcome to drop by!

I'll re-post as soon as I know which date it will be.

NTHS is about a 1/2 hour from downtown Chicago, but rush hour traffic can gum the works up. The 6:30 time frame is a bit later than that, but who the heck knows!

More to follow!

Nick

6. NickD

NickD Forte User

December 18 at 6:30 PM

OK, folks! You are ALL invited - even Hoosiers! (heh!)

I'll be doing this mini-clinic at New Trier High School. We are at 385 Winnetka Avenue in Winnetka, Illinois (60093). The room I am planning on using is room 151, the lab I use every day.

You can bring your horn if you want to, though this will not be a full playing clinic. I would urge you to bring a mouthpiece.

I have no idea how many folks will show up. PLEASE let me know if you are planning on attending so I can make plans for more desks, if necessary.

OK, check back here as more things develop on this.

Peace!

Nick

7. NickD

NickD Forte User

Coming into focus

Hey, folks!

Things are coming into focus for the 12/18 mini-clinic on trumpet acoustics and self-improvement as a trumpeter. I'm building a list of folks strictly for the sake of keeping track of my desk count. I can seat about 26 folks right now, with more at the lab benches. I can bring in more desks as needed.

I see there are about 24 folks here who are in the vicinity. Any takers? Also, all joking aside, this is not just for Chicago area folks. It's just that this ad hoc presentation is taking place on shroter notice, and I was figuring only folks in the area would be able to swing by. Certainly, feel free to pop on out if you happen to be here.

The Monday night with a 6:30 PM start time is intended to not encroach on prime gig days/hours. Heck if you're working a serious paying gig at 6:30 PM on a Monday night, more power to you! :-)

So far most of my guests will be interested teachers and students. I'd love to see to TM'ers there and some pros drop by.

OK, I'm really looking forward to this. Just PM me if you're going to fall by.

Hope to see you there.

Nick

8. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    I would love to go, but sadly that's the first week I'll be home for Christmas Break...and my Mom won't be home for Christmas (family stuff) so I kinda have to be home.

It sounds like a blast and something I'd love to be there for though! I've always been interested in how things worked and stuff.

Good luck!

Lara

9. NickD

NickD Forte User

Video...

I'll be video taping portions of my mini clinic here in Chicago for use in West Chester. some of the demo gear I'd use would cause problems at the airport, so some video presentations might help.

In any case, I'll be eventually developing a DVD out of all of this.

More to follow.

ND

10. NickD

NickD Forte User

Shaping up!

More folks are getting back to me! Cool!

There are a couple of pros who have let me know they'll be by. They're bringing some of their students along as well. I'm eager to have folks of all skill levels come to this. I want to see how well I can clarify the concepts.

This will be very QUALITATIVE in scope. You don't have to be a hot-shot physics/math student to understand this. I'll be doing some neat wave demos and natural trumpet demos to show you all how this thing works. We'll talek about the mouthpieces and how they impact what we do. Finally I'll deal with chops and air.

This should be fun.

OK, more to folow.

Nick