Free-mini-clinic in the Chicago area---

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, Nov 21, 2006.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

Ten Day Reminder

I just sent out this email to a lot of folks here at school. I am posting it here as well as on TPIN (hopefully, assuming Mike approves it) and on TH.

This is just a ten day reminder. I'll do one more a couple of days out in front.

On 12/18, Monday night, from 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM, I'll be doing a FREE CLINIC/LECTURE on "Understanding Trumpet Physics/Acoustics as a Means to Self-Improvement as a Trumpeter." This will take place in room 151 at the Winnetka Campus of New Trier High School at 385 Winnetka Ave., Winnetka, Illinois. You are ALL, of course, invited. I you know a trumpeter or someone who once played trumpet who is considering coming back to the instrument or a trumpet student who is interested in understanding the actual physical phenomenon behind what their trumpet teacher is teaching them, by all means, please let them know.

As of now, I have a couple of serious professional trumpeters coming by to hear the clinic as well as several serious adult students of the instrument and interested teachers. My current RSVP numbers show about 10 folks. We've got room for plenty more without bringing in more desks.

Please spread the word.

As a prelude to the discussion I'll be citing the writings of John Backus (the Acoustical Foundations of Music), Dr. Tom Rossing (The Science of Sound) and Dr. Thomas Moore (the science editor for the International Trumpet Guild). I am not leaving any of my discussion exclusively to my conjecture. Everything will be properly academically and scientifically backed-up (complete bibliographies will be handed out). Then I'll explain how, as an ex-engineer, I used these ideas to develop some techniques which have helped me as a player. At this point I'll bring in concepts by legendary lead player, Walt Johnson, as well as other trumpet teachers into the mix.

Some of you have already let me know that you are coming. If you plan on attending and have not gotten back to me before, please let me know so I can have an idea of the head count up front.

I sure hope to see you there!

Nick Drozdoff
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/NickDrozdoff.ASP
    http://www.myspace.com/nickdrozdoff

2. NickD

NickD Forte User

Ok folks, for those of you who are either already planning on attending or contemplating attending my mini-clinic next Monday, here are the final details!

Monday 12/18/06 from 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM

New Trier High School
    385 Winnetka Avenue
    Winnetka, Illinois 60093

About three blocks east of Green Bay and about four blocks west of Sheridan on Winnetka Avenue.

Room 151

If you enter the building from the MAIN SOUTH SIDE entrance, walk straight back towards the back door (you can see it when you walk in - at the end of the hall). When you get to the end of that hall, turn right. 153 and 151 will be on your left.

If you enter the building from the CENTER DOORS on the NORTH SIDE of the building (by the parking lot and next to the soccer fields), just come in and turn left. 153 and 151 are right there.

I would not suggest coming in any other entrance.

You might be asked to sign in for security reasons, but I'll leave a note with the parapros. You'll have NO problems.

Room 151 is the physics lab that has been my "home away from home" for some 10 years, now. Using this lab will give me the wherewithal to have my PC, overhead projectors and demo equipment all right there.

As I complete my Power-Point notes, I am very excited about what I'll be able to share with you. In addition to the books by Rossing and Backus, I have found a veritable TREASURE TROVE of excellent information in the ITG Journal Science Desk column. Trumpeters should read that column religiously! You can learn a lot about playing from it. I hope to show you how to do so.

I'm acquainted with Dr. Moore (the editor of the Science Desk) and he has helped me with this presentation. He is a remarkable person.

I look forward to seeing you all there!!!

Nick

3. Thermos

Thermos Pianissimo User

Jul 15, 2006
    Ahh! Every time you bring this up, it reminds me that I can't go because its halfway across the country!

I would definitely buy a video of this clinic if you end up recording it. It could even be unedited for all I care! :)

4. NickD

NickD Forte User

Re: Thanks for coming!

Well, I thought last night's clinic was a huge success. It certainly was for me.

Thanks to all of you who were there. It is my sincere hope that you can go home and implement some fo the ideas to improve your own trumpet playing - figuring things out more for your self!

I am particularly grateful for the HUGE Q&A section of the evening. Granted I talked for an hour and a half, but almost 45 minutes of thoughtful Q&A will REALLY help me tailor my presentation at West Chester. I only have 50 minutes there, so your ideas last night will enable to focus on your direct needs when it comes to understanding just enough about trumpet acoustics and function to seriously improve your own work life as trumpeters.

Now, I'm going to directly work with JC to finalize the West Chester show.

On a side note I AM going to produce a low budget DVD of a longer lecture, more like the one last night. I'll also work out a way to make the power-point slides I used last night (after some clean-up edititng) available to all of you.

Once again, thanks to those who filled up my class last night.

Have a wonderful hoilday season, each an every one.

Nick Drozdoff

5. swissdude

swissdude Pianissimo User

Nov 29, 2003
    West Chester, PA
    Nick,

Glad to hear everything went well. I wish I could have been there but I am currently in Costa Rica enjoying the sun and beach :-) sorry, had to say it hahaha.
    I can't wait to have your presentation at West Chester. I will send you an email after the holidays so we can start planning things.

Best wishes to all

JC