Free online lessons and trumpet video blog...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, Oct 25, 2007.

1. oj

oj Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2005
    Norway
    Well done, Nick!

.. and Joe does a great job with the web design. (Joe is also a trumpet player. He used to be on TPIN some years ago).

Nick, when I look at your set up, I have a question:
    Do you think that your set up (little upper lip more lower lip) also can explain why the Lynch mpc work so well for you?

I've tried it, but it felt hopeless (I'm using much more upper lip inside the rim).

Regards,

Ole

2. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    I'll include (some of) your tricks in my practice routines, Nick. Thanks for the generosity.

3. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    It seems that his lessons use quicktime. And quick, it's not. It is so slow it's like aol. I have a high speed connection and it still won't load. I think it's on his servers end.

4. NickD

NickD Forte User

Well, one of the next several post I'll make on the online lessons will include tips on how to use the asymmetrics. I HOPE to work on those tonight and tomorrow, but my wife is out of town and in addition to being school teacher, trumpet player, I am also running dads taxi service for my kids. I really do have a plan to have about four more lessons up this weekend.

As to QuickTime, I have no problem with it here at school with the PC's and the T1 line or with my laptop tablet PC via the wifi. it also works fine with my PC at home. I just using SBC Yahoo DSL at home. So, I don't know what to say about the dl time. I just click on Play Clip and wait a minute for the task bar to indicate that the video dl has started and then hit the play indicator. I put some tips at the bottom of the page for playing these videos. Some folks think there is something wrong when it stalls when the playback overtakes the DL. It is simple to get around that, and I've gotinstructions along those lines on the bottomof the web page.

Hope this sheds a little light. I'll post again when I get more up.

Nick

5. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007
    -

Hey Nick, much thanks for the site. -Are you teaching any beginner students using the asymmetrics? Would you speak to what you feel's been their progression as a result, if so?

Thanks.. Chris

-

6. Impact9

Impact9 New Friend

Oct 23, 2007
    Must be some where in between cause his site is working pretty fast for me. :dontknow:

7. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    Nick,

Quicktime for us real world users out here (no T1, just DSL) is anything but quick-time. It's more like waiting for a gallon of mollases to flow through a capillary tube in the dead of winter in Maine!

Keep up the great work, but please use a faster video.

8. NickD

NickD Forte User

Re: Moved videos to YouTube and added four more...

I am making this post to let you all know of some updates on my Online Lessons page.

First, I moved all of those huge QuickTime files over to YouTube. I was not doing the lesson files as “performance†pieces. So, I am not too concerned about the degradation of the quality (which is minimal) due to the FlashPlayer conversion. They also play much more quickly and easily for all. You still go to Nick Drozdoff :: Home and then go to the online lessons page. I have the files conveniently embedded there for you.

Second, I’ve added several topics. Here they are:

1.) Long Tones 8/8/16 sotto voce
    2.) Clarke’s sotto voce
    3.) Singing Exercises from low Ab to F over double C
    4.) Embouchure Design revisited
    5.) Flexibility and Trills
    6.) Hi Gear and Low Gear – The Walt Johnson Thing
    7.) Some Ideas About Breathing
    8.) How To Use an Asymmetric Mouthpiece

There is about one hour’s worth of material on here, so far.

As in previous posts, these are free for the viewing. I just ask that you read all of the text on the web page, too, please. I have a message there for all users.

This is the first wave that I had in mind. To say the least, it is largely driven by the chops and high note thing. I assure you that I am NOT stopping there. In fact, with these 8 files, I am concluding my work on the chops thing. The next files will be about jazz studies and legit etudes. This is an ongoing project, and I expect to take months completing it.

In the meantime, if I help only one person get some ideas about what he/she might be able to do to improve their own embouchure, then I’m grateful.

Enjoy.

Peace.

Nick Drozdoff

9. oj

oj Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2005
    Norway
    Hi Nick,

Thanks for the demo and explanation about the Asymetric Mouthpiece!

(I must ask my friend to let me try it again - now that I know how to approach it)

Best,

Ole

10. NickD

NickD Forte User

Re: The list is growing...

The list of videos has grown a bit since the last time I posted. Here is the current list on the Online Lessons Page at Nick Drozdoff :: Home :

1.) Long Tones 8/8/16 sotto voce
    2.) Clarke’s sotto voce
    3.) Singing Exercises from low Ab to F over double C
    4.) Embouchure Design revisited
    5.) Flexibility and Trills
    6.) Hi Gear and Low Gear – The Walt Johnson Thing
    7.) Some Ideas About Breathing
    8.) How To Use an Asymmetric Mouthpiece

Recently Added:

9.) Flow Studies

Also a little bit of "trumpet physics:"

10.) Why Do Lightweight Trumpets Play Brighter?
    11.) How Does A Trumpet Work?
    12.) Beats and Multiphonics on a Bass Trumpet
    13.) Timbre Harmonics and Pedal Tones As Applied to Trumpet and Flugelhorn

Also, I'm going to go ahead and "publish" (make public) my Science Olympiad page by weeks end. It will probably be incomplete till next Tuesday, but I want to announce to the Science Olympiad public next Tuesday, so I want to make sure it is visible.

Both are ongoing projects. There is over 90 mintes worth of lecture on the Online Lessons page. There will be over two hours worth on the Science Olympiad page.

These are all on YouTube, so there will be no delay inssues with playback.

Please don't forget my Media page which as some little performance pieces with mixed sound (there are five clips up there now, and that list will be growing, too).

Please help me spread the word. I want to share with any brass players out there who might benefit even in the slightest way. This is all free and there is no risk of spam from me if you drop by.

Ok, gotta run 4 now! Peace!

Nick