Free online lessons and trumpet video blog...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, Oct 25, 2007.

1. oj

oj Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2005
    Norway
    Nick,

The clips did not work from your website, so I went to YouTube:

YouTube - Nick Drozdoff

Very good additions.

Great work, Nick!

Ole

2. NickD

NickD Forte User

OJ, I'm ot sure why you couldn't play the clips from the site. They work fine on my PC's on both IE and Firefox. I think it was just a momentary glitch. It is important that folks go the site instead of directly to Youtube. I've got supporting text and references there that aren't on Youtube.

Nick Drozdoff :: Home

Either way, thanks for the kind words, OJ!

Nick

PS: Days getting a lot shorter up where you are these days, eh? ;-)

3. oj

oj Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2005
    Norway
    Short days for shure over here in Norway.

Yes it was a glitch - it work fine now. (I tried it several times at least for half an hour this morning).

Of course I prefer to use your website (nicely designed by Joe Auty - also a trumpet player - and former TPINer)

Ole

4. djazz

djazz New Friend

Nov 10, 2007
    Nick:

Just found your site. You are one fabulous teacher!

I am what they call a comeback player but I have spent the last 30 years playing the jazz saxophone. After a few months of self-teaching on trumpet I have discovered for myself many of the ideas you present: TCE, the value of soft playing, using a different embouchure for high notes, using less air, and so on.

I thank you for the confirmation of what I have learned and I draw inspiration from your teaching.

I also understand the dayjob blues and how that keeps us from practicing as much as we like!

Best wishes to you!

5. NickD

NickD Forte User

Thanks for the kind words, DJazz!

I can see one remark that might bring me a little heat, so let me address this if you would.

Yes, I do have two different embouchures (see Hi gear Lo gear), but they are SUBTLY different, so it is reasonably easy to switch between the two.

Also, with my Lo gear set, I'm good to a solid high G and even a double C, but it is a bit more work than it needs to be. So, right now, I use the Hi gear thing for places where I need to just SCREAM.

I am in the process of developing an apporach to the Hi gear thing that will work down low, too. In fact, I can use it reasonalby low all the way down to low G, but I have to adjust my T-tongue when I do so, particulalry when it comes to double tonguing. There will be a new video clip addressing this in a week or so.

Thanks again for the kind words! Keep up the good work and NEVER stop the music!

Peace, man!

Nick

6. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Super stuff, Nick! Did you say you were going to do a jazz improv one too?
    Looking forward to that.
    -Andrew

7. NickD

NickD Forte User

Andrew,

The jazz stuff will be little while coming. I am hatching some new ideas with a backer, and this has changed my direction, a bit, initially.

In the meantime, I'd check out Trent's new site! That looks really cool!

Nick

8. NickD

NickD Forte User

Re: Added some new clips...

I don't know how more I'll get done on these today, but in case I don't I wanted to post about this.

I've added three new clips to the site.

On the Online Lessons page...

Lesson Video 10: Flow Studies 2
    I play the same lyrical flow study on three different horns with several different mouthpieces. This is a discussion of tone development. I'm adding this at the request of several listeners.

Lesson Video 11: Gattermann Etude 2
    I just got my new cornet and was horsing around with it. I have not been working to diligently on my double tonguing recently, and this will serve as a "before" clip.

Physics of Trumpet Clip 5:
    This is on Trumpet Mouthpieces and Tone

Now on the Media Page, I added a clip called Door County Meditation, which is a quasi free jazz thing with a canned track I prepared. I am OT going for a brass band sound with the cornet. I am going for a more Nat Adderly like sound, but with my own spin on it.

I hope you can enjoy this stuff.

Peace!

Nick

9. Jim J

Jim J New Friend

Oct 7, 2008
    Nick,

Good lesson stuff.

I think Neil was a history professor at Vandercook (not that it matters)

Jim J

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  10. jongorrie

jongorrie Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    Great videos Nick - thanks so much for giving us all access to them!