Free Trumpet Sheet Muisic

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Branson, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
  2. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Is it just me or does the cat playing first sound like he needs a lesson in breath control?

I listen and get the feeling he's gonna crack a note. Of course he doesn't but his playing feels a tad insecure.

3. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Could be. All of my recordings are first takes so there could be a problem from time to time.
    If you want a better recording and not the FREE Chart, you can buy our CD's.

4. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Oh shoot dude I'm sorry. That's me: Always putting foot in mouth.

For what it's worth the only reason I made the mention of "breath control" is that I've heard the same hesitancy in my own recorded playing from time to time.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  5. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    No problem.
    If you listen to the first part of the melody, you'll also hear that I was flat until the fourth measure when the horn warmed up.
    Just remember, we play for the enjoyment of it and sometimes we get too much into the technical side of playing.

Have a great day and keep playing.

6. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    I think one thing that has helped me, especially in recent years has been the development of a "live" sound. Which isn't much more than loud playing with tons of wind support.

When this tone finally cuts through onto the recording it sounds with more solidity than if I'd tried to balance the tone through a reduction of volume at the time of recording. Maybe this is what Lee Morgan was doing by playing loudly. The recording engineer can always cut the signal but the sound seems more "together"if played firmly to begin with.

I like to listen for any mistakes I may make under these louder conditions. To see if it sounds solid even with the mistake or outright clam. Usually it holds together pretty well.

Then there is the case of Miles vs. Wynton:

Miles almost sounds better hitting all the wrong notes of the scale than Wynton does hitting the correct ones. Miles' sound was special. He had a confidence with it that transcended ordinary accuracy.