Freedom on the comeback trail

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dark Knight, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    What is freedom?

After over a year on the comeback trail I have finally discovered the freedom that comes from NOT constantly thinking about my mouthpiece or my embouchure. No more endless hours searching the internet for information. Theses issues have resolved quite nicely. I am now just focusing on practicing the material assigned by my teacher. I have started working through Schlossberg and the Johnson books. I have fallen in love with Schmidt's directional long tone exercise (page 98). As a former bodybuilder, I really groove on the burning sensation in muscle, except these are the tiny ones at the corners.

Yesterday, I had my first public appearance in 35 years. The little band of students (age range 13 to 50 years) from the music school walked a couple of blocks to a local out doors farmers market and played several Christmas Carols (or, music to be ignored by). It was so cold that I could not feel my fingers or my lips. Each correct note felt like a minor miracle but I loved every minute of it. Today I am in total is bliss. The next concert is in a Church on December the 19th. It will be warmer but people will be listening, a mixed blessing.

DK

2. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    Congratulations!!! I love it, DK! I'm really glad you have found your own personal trumpet Nirvana.

Keep on playing!!

Mark

3. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada

Thanks. I really enjoy reading your thread. It always motivates me.

DK

4. Frankie Prive

Frankie Prive New Friend

Feb 21, 2010
    Mansfield UK
    Quite an inspirational post for us comeback players DK.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Great news. Yes, you already have a lot to be thankful for - that is kind of the message this time of year anyway. Focussing on making music should be the goal anyway. If you have a decent teacher, they can worry about what comes next. Keep us posted on how you are doing. As success is measured in months and years, milestones don't really appear more often than that.

6. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    A true inspiration. I have similar experiences on my comeback trail (9months). Our community band played on 26 November to greet Santa Claus, and then on 15 December for our Christmas recital. The last time I played in a band was in 1965!

Hope I can remember where I put my horn.