Freeing stuck tuning slides

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nestbeast, May 1, 2010.

1. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I am currently repairing an Olds Ambassador cornet with stuck slides. The previous owner jerked so hard on the tuning slide that he broke quite a few solder joints and bent the snot out of it. I grabbed the wrong can and accidentally sprayed Gumout on it. A couple of light taps with a mallet and it popped right out. I'd be careful using Gumout, though. It would probably take off some lacquer. So would WD-40.

2. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Expert repairmen have the advantage of having made their mistakes on countless school instruments along with the resources to correct their mistakes (cover their tracks?). After a while one gets a feel for when enough is too much force. I have the chops to fix almost anything, but there are many things I won't attempt without the resources of a well equipped shop.

3. nestbeast

nestbeast Pianissimo User

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    Thank you. This is some VERY helpful advice. I am very appreciative of this and am going to Lowes tomorrow and get the necessary supplies.
    Again, thank you.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Towels are too large to allow control of the slide. If with patience, you are tugging lightly, vis short increments, you shouldn't have a slide bounce off the bell and then get bent or dented when it strikes other objects on your bench or falls to the floor. When the slide moves an increment of about 1/4", as the bond is released, attempt to move it further by hand.
    Still, whenever working on an instrument, it is shrouded except for areas one is working on. I don't know where they came from, but the pads I have look like small versions of movers quilts. One woman called them hot casserole pads. Mine vary in size, the largest being 18" x 30". Too, I've some thick hides I use to shield when soldering. When I get the funds, I've now got to get a new soldering torch, one that operates on propane or something else whereas this property doesn't have natural gas supply.

5. nestbeast

nestbeast Pianissimo User

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    I love Trumpet Master. Whenever I need an answer about trumpet stuff, I can always rely on fellow trumpet players to help me out.
    Much thanks and many good gigs to all.

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Any slide that isn't in need of moving quickly (the 2nd valve slide and main tuning slide, and 1st valve slide if you don't have a finger ring or hook,) should be lubricated with anhydrous lanolin for long lasting lubrication. I also put a tiny amount on the bottom valve cap threads so they don't get frozen. This helps me greatly because the student horns that I deal with are never cleaned unless they are in my shop.

7. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

I guess that kids haven't changed much over the past 50 years.

OLDLOU>>

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'll second the use of 100% pure liquid lanolin in the areas as mentioned by Brekelefuw. I don't know where my prior supply is, so I went to get more locally as was a "safari". I ended in finding it at a special foods store. What I found was a 4 oz bottle, product code 7730 as sold for $6.95 manufactured by Now Foods. A visit to their website will tell which stores in your area carry it. NOW Foods - the official site of NOW Foods EDIT: Now Foods is located in Bloomingdale IL 60108 U.S.A.

It''s not that I'm advocating this brand, but it's as good as what I had prior (which I don't remember the brand of).

I'm also going to say that this a great personal skin product that LASTS when rubbed in well. As a youth, I helped my paternal grandfather with sheep. I'm 74 now and I irritate my wife by displaying my hands next to hers. You'd swear I never had a tool in my hands, let alone worked with one. Not even a callus! Sure, I wear gloves!

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  9. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I've always had good luck with good old cheap petroleum jelly on my slides. On slides that need to move, in other words one and three, I use valve oil on top of the petroleum jelly. I'm VERY allergic to lanolin (wool fat). Where you run into trouble is when NOTHING is used.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    And as I have previously stated, it is used extensively in damp old New Zealand to stop sheep from rusting. ;-)

kcmt01 likes this.