Freeing stuck tuning slides

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nestbeast, May 1, 2010.

1. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Now that there's funny, I don't care who ya are...

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    The old ones are always the best, ;-) but thanks.

3. nestbeast

nestbeast Pianissimo User

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    Thank you. This is good advice.
    You own some very nice instruments.

4. beautgrainger147

beautgrainger147 Pianissimo User

Aug 6, 2009
    Rotherham
    I remember an article on the internet about disolving what I think was limescale / crystalised syliva on some woodwind mouthpieces, they tried vinegar, hydrogen peroxide and kettle cleaner.. after a while I think it was the vinegar, removed the most.

I just wondered if the repair shops use a paticular chemical to disolve the above in order to free tuning slides on brass instruments?

J Grainger

5. nestbeast

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    Thank you for your advice. I think when all else fails, repairmen might use a small application of brute force.
    I need to really move all of slides on regular basis to keep them useable.
    I hope that you are performing in some great places.
    Again, your advice is appreciated.

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
  7. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    I dont know if someone said this or not but

I remember someone telling me to fill the horn with water then feeze it, then let it melt the expansion and compresion of the ice could loosen it up a bit. I dont know if this is safe on pro horns I only tryed it on my marching horn.

8. nestbeast

Jul 31, 2008
    Cultural black hole
    This is a great idea. Thank you.

9. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    A shop I was working in had one of these. The trouble is, when a main slide sticks, often it is just one tube (normally the upper in the leadpipe). You need to get more force on the upper slide than on the lower, otherwise the tuning slide will be totally distorted, one tube coming out more than the other. This is why previously stuck tuning slides often won't push home all the way on top and bottom. We have found that the best method is to use tuning slide pliers judiciously on each leg, and "walk" the slide out. Yes, this is in conjunction with penetrants and heat and time.

Of course, you cannot use these pliers on student Yamaha horns due to their insane construction - they do not have soldered ferrules. I use their other weakness which is lack of rigidity, and twist the whole horn back and forth to release the slide tubes. But, more than any other models, I have had to unsolder the receiver tubes and shock heat treat them to release. Yamaha, at one point, recommended cutting the slide in half and releasing each leg separately; then supply a brand new tuning slide!

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  10. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I've had luck with PB Blaster but it would likely dissolve lacquer.