Freeing stuck tuning slides

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nestbeast, May 1, 2010.

1. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto

You should have seen the look on my face when I first took some slide pliers to a stuck Yamaha student model. I love the Yamaha student horns, but the unsoldered ferrules are by far the most annoying part of the design.
    I wouldn't recommend the flexing the horn trick to someone without experience. Over-flexing can lead to warped valve casings or mis-aligned slides.

2. Dave H

Dave H New Friend

Jul 23, 2010
    I purchased a used bach TR300 (silver) with a stuck 2nd slide. Will wd40 affect the silver finish?

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

No, but, the local tech can free that slide easily when he is also resoldering the broken loose brace.

OLDLOU>>

4. cruiseshipgreg

cruiseshipgreg New Friend

Jul 7, 2009
    on a ship somewhere....
    Repair guys do it two way as far as I know. Penetrating oil soak combined with gentle heat on the outside then with a "leather/hide" hammer to gently tap it on the crossbar brace and there is also a wooden rounded slide shaped crook specially made for the job for horns with no brace. for me, to be on the safe side, I'd use a piece of crap trumpet if I had to for whatever time it takes to send it out and have it done correctly. It's really not worth the risk of wrecking your baby in my humble opinion. I'm in New England so I would just take an hour drive to Osum Brass in MA or Ellis Music Co. in VT and have them do it while I wait or of course you can ship to both of these places as well. I know there are good pro shops all over the country too.