French horn is kind of upsetting...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet_man, May 13, 2011.

1. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    I've been playing trumpet non-stop for as far as I can remember. I'm taking a month off and am playing the french horn and piano. Nothing against the trumpet, but I'm just burned out.

First thing I noticed about the horn was it's range. It's kind of upsetting that I can pick up a new instrument and the range is better than that of a trumpet (though the piano beats them all :D). I could immediately hit a double high C on the french horn (which is the second ledger-line C, when reading the the key of F). Pitchwise, I believe, that equates to a high G (G above high C) on the trumpet. Only on good days can I ever get up there on the trumpet, yet on the horn that pitches comes out easily :thumbdown:, and I didn't even think they were designed for high notes.

The low range on the horn is really strong too, it's easy to go down into the tubas range. Over five octaves can easily be played. I'm jealous. :-(

Actually, it's been a nice break and though, I'm terrible (every note I hit, I crack despite using my ear like crazy) it's still fun. I think I've even heard that trumpet players are better at hitting the extreme high notes on the french horn. Why is that? I know they are used to it, but it's a totally different mouthpiece.

On a side note, can french horn and trumpet be played successfully simultaneously, or are the embouchure switches too much to do frequently? I know I haven't been having much luck mainting my trumpet lips. Any tips. Thanks.

2. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    The french horn is a 4th lower than trumpet(correct me if Im wrong). Then the horn also has a less resistance which makes it easier to play lower notes, and the horn was designed to play lower. I play horn and trumpet and have ad not side effect at all unless I try to switch to fast but the more I do it the less time I need to adjust my chops. I still have problems producing a clear tone on the horn though but that is because lack of practice and my concept of tone for the instrument. Just have fun man.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The Bb side of the horn is an octave below a Bb trumpet, the F side a 12th, (like an F tuba). Horn requires a softer attack than trumpet: try "duh" instead of "tuh." It might help.

Good luck!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you immediately get along with the horn, have no intonation, breathing or range issues (be careful, the horn often competes with the tuba/bass trombone) then you probably had the wrong instrument all of these years.

Cool on a french horn is an F below the bass clef. You would not have posted double G if you knew what it was...............

Stick with it. There is big demand for good horn players. Much more than trumpeters.....

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I believe that David Guerrier is the only one who has mastered both instruments at the highest level, a feat for which he has been nicknamed "the Extra-Terrestrial." That and his uncanny ability to play period instruments.

Haydn 3rd movement on a period keyed trumpet, exhumed from the museum collection of the Superior Conservatory
    YouTube - 3/6 - David Guerrier - Joseph Haydn - 3ème mvt du Concerto pour trompette

Haydn horn concerto 1st movement on natural horn:
    YouTube - 4/6 - David Guerrier - Joseph Haydn - 1er mvt du Concerto pour cor

So I'd say that, although possible, it is not likely that you can succeed on both; one would have to be your primary instrument.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Far be it for me to point out the obvious -- but you can play French horn, the piano -- and let me guess, you can probably sing also. And your worried about playing trumpet???
    here is a question for you -- which instrument are you passionate about?? What are your goals (pro, weddings, community band, orchestra, or just for fun)??
    and only YOU have the answers for YOU anyhow -

7. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I think that horn can be played along side trumpet. In fact I know that it can, because I've done/do it! Horn is a beautiful instrument, it truly is...and if you can play it along with trumpet, you're only going be be more awesome! Just keep practicing!

Kujo

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    No way "simultaneous", but immediately sequential either way, yes. Every once in a while I play a trumpet with a FH Farkas mpc and adapter and likewise with my F mellophone. Really, I never got along well with the FH because my left hand fingers weren't as fast as my right. This latter brings me to the conclusion to believe that dominant left handers fare better on the FH than right handers, and have more difficulty playing trumpet, but I'm sure there is no data that corroborates this, knowing that there are players that do either with ease ... which falls to diligent practice techniques.

9. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    I've played trumpet, baritone and horn around the same time, as along as you are playing each regularly, your embouchure will get used to it.

And if you're good at the horn aside from attacks maybe you should switch as Rowuk said! You do know the principal horn is the highest paid position in an orchestra, right? And usually their parts are more frequent than trumpet.