freshman in need of help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I really like Bachstul's advice--practice reading and fingering over and over and over and over......and the scales will get ingrained. As to your question: What wins in the end, knowing scales with bad tone & range or not knowing scales but having a good tone and range?
    The answer is: knowing scales with a good tone and range. We really can't afford the luxury of being bad at anything.

Good luck!

2. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    You're a freshman and you can hit a double-high C? :-o If you can't make the "A" concert band, you ought to play lead in the jazz band! I was the section lead in my high school band and lead in the jazz band, and I could never hit anything over high E consistently.

3. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Maybe she means second ledger-line C.

4. irishcornetboy

irishcornetboy Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2008
    I second mchs3d. Rhythm is the most important sight reading element along with tone. I remember on all my high school audition sheets i was told to "look at the stems of the notes." Extremly annoying after seeing it for the third time but still, it's important.

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    thanks a lot for the advice, i would have gotten back sooner but i was practicing all weekend
    nd as for the double high c i can hit it by going through a chromatic, i start at high c and go up from there, i practice for three hours a day so my chops have gotten pretty good at this point

6. xxdkthxx

xxdkthxx New Friend

Feb 17, 2009
    Lafayette Indiana
    scales hands down. all music is comprised of is scales.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Kristina,
    to win, you simply need to work more intelligently than the rest. If you have 3 hours a day, there is NOTHING that you can't accomplish.

The key to getting there is to develop all patterns regardless if they are slurs or scales by starting at NO BRAIN SLOW. We are creatures of habit and the patterns that we train slow and 100% clean are available at much higher speeds. When we rush things, we store bad irregular, mistake laden patterns, that haunt us for the rest of our lives. SLOW and CLEAN, always practice softly but with a full tone.

If you can really taste it, people will notice. If you only do face time instead of really practicing, you are throwing away HOURS of your life.

8. scottlashbrook

scottlashbrook New Friend

Jan 2, 2009
    London UK
    DO NOT memorise your scales by repetition, your brain will remember the finger patterns and your chops will instinctively do what they do. If you repeat somthing often enough then muscle memory will take over and you will be able to rattle through any scale you practice. However...............You will have know idea what you are actually playing!
    1. Learn all your key sig's
    2. Read you scales (standard scale book)
    3. When you then practice your scales, close your eyes, and see the written scale, say the notes in your head as you play them
    4. practice your scales in paterns, eg rising in 3's (C maj, CDE,DEF,EFG, etc.

You say that you can "pop out" a double C, if that's the case then scales should be a breeze!

Good luck with your audition.

9. WHISTLEPIGSBAND

WHISTLEPIGSBAND New Friend

Jan 20, 2009
    i learned all major and minor scales by not only playing them, but by looking at the scales on paper and huming them while going through the fingerings either on the horn or on a table or on my knee! wutever. no playing. dont even have to hum. just think the scale and go through the fingerings in some way that you know is accurate