Freshman? Sophomore? What does it all mean?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mctrumpet98, Feb 21, 2013.

1. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    G'day all, just looking for some clarification from you American folk with the whole sophomore/freshman etc thing. What do these terms mean? Are they specific to trumpeting?

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Freshman = First year

Sophomore + Second year

The terms are borrowed from education (high school and college)

mctrumpet98 likes this.
  3. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    What age are they, for comparison?

mctrumpet98 likes this.
  4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In terms of trumpet playing, the terms could also be generalized to freshman = biginner; sophomore = initial advancement; junior = almost there to achieving full accomplishment; senior = Vulgano Brother

mctrumpet98 likes this.
  5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    In the United States, public schools are 12 grades, the last 4 generally considered as high school, the students of the latter sequentially designated as Freshman, Sophmore, Junior and Senior. Generally, public school starts at age 6, but in some states the starting age is 5. Colleges and Universitys consider their four years (or more) to obtain a Bachelor's Degree in the same terms as public high schools Freshman, Sophmore, Junior, Senior but these have no bearing on age or calendar relationship, but are computed on percentage of accomplishment.

As for playing a musical instrument, instrumental music classes in the public schools average their beginning in the fifth grade ages 10-11, but only for those that wish to participate (or their parents can afford/permit such) and some also begin private lessons at this time also.

What musical skill is acquired from all instructive education still remains widely varied, and their are many exceptions where children perform about as well as many professionals (sometimes better than many pros). Ultimately, very few earn their sole income from music, but that in my opinion is a false goal to pursue, rather to appreciate it and enjoy making and playing music with my brass instruments provides me ample satisfaction, and to improve continues to be my goal.

mctrumpet98 likes this.
  6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    In a 4 year High School program it is based on how old you are but if you flunk a bunch of classes you could be held back until you meet the requirements to advance to the next grade.
    9th grade Freshman: 13-14yo
    10th grade Sophomore:15-16yo
    11th grade Junior:16-17yo
    12th grade Senior:17-18yo

After high school you attend a college and work towards a bachelors degree in whatever. In college they use credit hours passed to determine what grade you are in.
    0-30hrs = Freshman
    30-60 = Sophomore
    60-90 = Junior
    90+ = Senior.

Most degree programs requiring about 120 credit hours to complete.

None of this is related to trumpet in the way that you BBB guys rate players based on what playing level they have acheived by performing material graded by difficulty.

mctrumpet98 likes this.
  7. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Thanks for all the responses, they've all helped a lot. +rep

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Shamelessly lifted from the internet:

n ancient Greece, a "sophist" was defined as "one who had attained wisdom." Also, in ancient Greece, paid teachers were known as "sophists." They often engaged in debates using arguments that became known as "sophisms," so the use of those arguments was known as "sophistry."

16th and 17th centuries, Cambridge University assigned students to engage in debate and argument as part of their studies. However, this activity was considered too advanced for freshman students. Therefore, it was only assigned to the 3 higher class levels, which began to be called, "sophumers," "junior sophumers" and "senior sophumers." Here, the word "sophumer" meant "one who uses sophisms."

Thus, we may conclude that KT is a freshman.....

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I believe KT is in a class of his own,VB:roll::lol::oops::cool:

10. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Ah yes. 2 Nations separated by a common language. Now, pardon me while I lift the bonnet of my Ute and clean the negative earth terminal on my accumulator.....