Friday the 13th practice sesson - FWIIW

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, Mar 14, 2009.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

Well, NO GIGS this weekend! Man, what a roller coaster. I can only hope its the economy and not my playing! :-( Oh well! not to sit back and do nothing, I did a lot pf practicing yesterday and slapped together a video clip of some tunes I'm WORKING on! They still need some work, but they'll hit the comfort zone soon enough. So, in the spirit of sharing so as not to be a tempest in a teapot (or my basement studio) I put this thing up.

I've been working up Frame for he Blues and Shake Your Bones for some big bands around here. Then for some balance to the racket, I put up the first movement of the Presser Suite for unaccompanied trumpet. These are all read throughs and I left the mistakes in - no punching. I hope to gt to share the finished products with you someday soon, but in the meantime, I hope some of my trumpet geek friends (title intended as a compliment!) can enjoy my personal geekieness.

Happy St. Pats!

YouTube - Friday the 13th Practice

Nick Drozdoff
    http://www.nickdrozdoff

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
    Sofus and MJ like this.
  2. NickD

NickD Forte User

Folks, I replaced the original URL with a new one. There was a coding problem with the first one and the sound was very distorted. The new version is not very fancy video-wise, but sounds MUCH better. Please check it out.

Nick

3. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    Nice one Nick.......I really like Gordon Goodwin's arrangements. Is the reverb the sound of your basement or do you add some in?

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks for sharing!

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    FRAME FOR THE BLUES!!!!!

One of my all time favorites!

Thanks Nick, you sound GREAT!

6. NickD

NickD Forte User

Tuneful,

That is only the corner of my basement. If I turn the camera around I have a basement the size of a cathedral. ;-) I kid, I kid! Or as Triumph, the insult comic dog would say, " I keeed, I keeed!"

I record the sound on my PC and mix it with some reverb to give it a bit more actual presence. The actual video sounds GREAT, but that darn encoder at Youtube flat out distorts the sound. It isn't as obvious with larger ensemble recordings like my Bye Bye Blackbird, but it's there.

If I thought folks would buy it, I'd make a DVD of ALL my videos and sell them. The sound there would be pristine.

Solar, Frame is one of my favorites as well. I recently dug up the original Hampton arrangement in Bb and started doing it with local big bands.

There is another chart I really want to buy from the Maynard Birdland Dreamband CD. It's called "You Said It." I emailed my cousin, Steve Wiest, to see if he had it. He said he'd get back to me, but, alas, Steve's too busy. If anyone here has a lead on that chart, I'll pop for it.

Peace, all!

Nick

7. DivineWind

DivineWind New Friend

Jan 17, 2009
    Well, thanks alot, Mr. D..... NOW....Marsalis (live this afternoon at Symphony Hall, Boston)....is sure to be a let-down......;-)

Very nice, thanks for sharing. Where do we donate to support this weekend's e-gig...?...:thumbsup:

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Nick - MAKE THE DVD - sorry, I'm shouting.

9. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Great to hear you play, Nick!

10. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Sounds great, Nick! Just wondering, how long do you practice each day?
    Thanks-
    Andrew