Friday's Pictures

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by trpt27, May 4, 2005.

1. trpt27

trpt27 New Friend

May 2, 2005
    Hey Mr. Laureano....

I'm new to this website and I wanted to ask you a sort of personal question. I'm not sure how you would take it but I don't mean this in a bad way at all. I'm just wondering on Friday night, in the opening of pictures, what happen on the second slur up to the C to F in the promenade? You keep your cool so well and don't seem to let it get to you. True professional. I know we all make mistakes, I'm just curious as to what you think happened that caused that particular one. Thanks....

Trumpet fan

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Tpt27,

Literally just one of those things, as the song goes. Although, I have to say it was a drier night at the hall than we're used to and sometimes you don't realize how dry until a note doesn't speak. The guys were complaining about it after the show in the locker room, interestingly. Had I played the first half I would have known.

Ah, the beauty of live performance. That's okay, you just come back the next night and knock the crap out of it. That's why it's tough for students, I think. So often they have to gear up for one stinking performance and the pressure is immense for them.

At the Youth Symphony, we're unique in that we have typically about 10 rehearsals for our Orchestra Hall show. Not only that, if you miss more than two rehearsals, you're out for the concert, you're not allowed to play. Strict? Yup, darned right. But what happens is that the kids know the piece intimately and there are no surprises because I literally prepare them for almost every eventuality. As a result, they're cool, calm, and collected for their show. Geez, I just did a Daphnis, 2nd suite with them and I swear, they played like a professional ensemble. Every solo. You should have heard the trumpets in that famous spot in 5/4 where they cascade downward after the triple tongued notes... they were great. And my little flute soloist was gorgeous! Like I say, they were prepared and nothing fazes them. They just sit there and enjoy their own work. Wonderful!

ML

3. trpt27

trpt27 New Friend

May 2, 2005
    Thanks for being so honest and upfront about that. I totally understand what you mean and I respect you as a player because you do keep your cool and you only play because you love the music, otherwise you probably would put the horn down if you ever got tired of the music aspect of playing. You are one of a kind and one heck of a player. Cheers!