Fried rice

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Manny Laureano, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I love fried rice!

I love fried rice but everytime I tried to make it it stank! It was always over-moist and just gloppy.

I found a great, easy guy-friendly recipe.

You'll need white rice that's ALREADY BEEN COOKED and COOLED off. Start with a cup and a half of uncooked rice for big appetites
    A little less than half an onion.
    A chopped up carrot (the smaller you can make the pieces, the better)
    Half a cup of frozen peas
    Two teaspoons of butter
    Some crushed or chopped garlic in the jar (If you want to go with fresh, all the better)
    Two eggs
    soy sauce, salt, black pepper

Get a large skillet hot and pour in a little oil to scramble the eggs. Chop them up as you scramble them.

When that's done throw in the onions, carrots, peas, garlic, butter. Mix them around for no more than minute. Throw in the cooked rice and and stir it around until it's well mixed up. Throw in the soy sauce BUT NOT TOO MUCH! Go easy.

Throw in salt and pepper. Use a spatula to mix all the stuff up. The consistency should be fluffy and the grains of rice shouldn't really be sticky. Add salt and pepper.

Make some kind of meat on the side with one of those teriyaki sauces you can buy. Bingo! It's easy.

Let me know if you try it.

ML

2. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    That sounds pretty dern tasty!

I might have to make some later on.

Lara

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    This is the key that impatient people don't wait for .... the rice must be cool! Otherwise it will stick together something awful.

Jim

4. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Now this is why we are members of Trumpet Master! I love fried rice too! Thanks!

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Something else that is really good to add is a quality dark sesame oil - not much, but enough to fill the room with the aroma of sesame and to give it that savory flavor! :)

I use Dynasty dark sesame oil.

6. silverstar

Jan 6, 2005
    Anyone like fried green tomatoes? Those are delicious, especially when they come from your garden!

Lara

7. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    OOOOOO YEA, fried green tomatoes are the stuff, and easy to find here in the deep south central part of arkansas.

8. silverstar

Jan 6, 2005
    That's one thing about the South that I like...they know how to make some tasty things! I've never been there, but it's one of my life goals to go and pork out on Southern food. *sighs*

Here in the midwest, everything is pretty bland. I mean, really, pork and corn have their perks, but unless it's BBQ it isn't really worth the time.

Hmmm...I'm hungry now.

Lara

9. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    Trust me everything food wise is better down south the farther north you go the worse food gets, its ridiculous when i go to south and north dakota to pheasant hunt every year they have all this wonderful beef but not a single place knows how to season a dang steak it tastes like you just took a steak out of the package and threw it in the microwave, no flavor.

10. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Let me reveal the dark secret to Southern cooking:

1: Instead of something healty to cook with, use LARD. LOTS OF IT. If you think its too much, its not enough. Nope, STILL not enough.

2: Use some more lard.

Haha, I've watched someone eat lard straight out of the bucket. He was chugging it, too. It was so disgusting, I couldnt stop watching. :lol:

Van