From Baritone to Trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ailey, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Ailey

Ailey New Friend

Nov 25, 2009
    Ayrshire, Scotland
    Hello.

I've been playing baritone horn for two years now, and while I feel like I've reached a decent standard for someone of my age, trumpet has always been my favourite brass instrument. Before now I have never had an opportunity to play one, but the opportunity has arisen and I was wondering, is it difficult, if even possible to switch from something like baritone to a trumpet?

Thanks! :-)

2. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    I started switching between trumpet and baritone during high school. When I started playing brass again it was baritone first this time, then back to trumpet, which was always my first love as well.

I never had any problems other than the trumpet mouthpiece feeling a bit small after playing baritone. Some players find that feeling more exaggerated than others. When I play baritone first I just wait a little while before picking up the trumpet to give my embouchure a chance to adjust.

On the positive side, the air requirements for playing baritone make even large bore trumpets seem easy to fill in comparison, and my embouchure actually feels more flexible and supple after playing baritone. I haven't encountered any problems switching and I would venture to say, based on my experience, that the vast majority of brass players would be far more likely to benefit from playing both instruments.

BTW, I see it's your first post. Welcome to Trumpet Master!

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Welcome to TM.
    I have also played both Baritone and trumpet (and dabbled on the Trombone). I do not think that there is any problem going between instruments other than adjusting the embouchure for the horn/mouthpiece that you are using. Like anything else in life, the more you practice it, the easier it becomes. So, go for it. There is a lot of information here to help you with the trumpet side of things. Let us know how you get on.

4. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Look up Gunhild Carling. You will be amazed.

5. Woltjer

Woltjer New Friend

Nov 6, 2009
    Portland, Oregon
    I have had similar situations to comebackkid and bobd0. I started playing trumpet in first grade. I took private lessons and played in band until now, in ninth grade. The band director really needed a baritone, and I know how to play all brass, so I took up baritone. After almost half a year, I am beginning to miss trumpet. I am considering to switch back. Switching can be hard if it is on a daily basis, but if you are completely switching instruments it should only take a short time to get used to. I found that playing baritone will give you better tone and higher notes when you pick up a trumpet.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Normally it is the other way around.

There is no physical reason why you should not be able to play trumpet if you get along with other brass instruments. You simply have to ADD the practice time to what you do now.

7. Ailey

Ailey New Friend

Nov 25, 2009
    Ayrshire, Scotland
    Thanks, guys. :)

I checked out Gunhild Carling, and wow! That's really inspiring. <3

I spoke to a music teacher at my mother's school, who told me that I could only go lower than baritone, not higher. But I'm glad to hear that it is possible, since I don't mind putting in the extra hours. xP

Thanks for all the welcomes too! x

8. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Say what? You can only go lower than baritone in switching? hasn't that music teacher ever heard of something called "practice" and something called "hard work?"

Sheesh -- whenever I hear some of the stupid things that music teachers say it really makes me wonder how anybody ever makes it out of school still playing an instrument.

Anybody can play any instrument at any time, assuming no physical deformity which would preclude playing that instrument at all, if they are willing to find a good teacher, practice diligently and not expect to be as good on a new instrument overnight as they are on their current instrument.

Ailey, you sound like a person who will make a success of this switch from baritone to trumpet. Just don't expect to sound great overnight, put in daily practice on both (or all, if you play more than one now) your instruments and you'll do just fine.

9. Ailey

Ailey New Friend

Nov 25, 2009
    Ayrshire, Scotland
    Ahah, thank you. :)

I've had him for a concert band rehearsal with my clarinet, and he's been very good... maybe he just doesn't know a lot about brass. Though if he doesn't know a lot about it, he shouldn't misinform me. >_<

I'm so glad I got a positive response. I was worried I'd get a lot of "It's impossible, y'eejdit,". xP I look forward to starting now. ^_^

10. ButchA

ButchA Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2009
    Richmond, Virginia
    Back when I was in school, I went from trumpet to french horn, back to trumpet, then got braces :-o (goodbye trumpet) and went to baritone and then trombone. Once the braces came off I went back to trumpet. It did take a few weeks to adjust to new straight teeth and a new embouchure, but it worked out well.

I have seen band kids (back when my daughters were in high school) that went from baritone (marching band) to trumpet (jazz band) to - believe it or not - tuba in the concert band! It doesn't matter what brass instrument you play, just as long as you give yourself time to adjust to the bigger mouthpiece.