From Jeanne Pocius to all of us..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by barb, Feb 3, 2010.

1. barb

barb New Friend

Feb 3, 2010
    outside of Boston
    Jeanne asked that this be posted to TM...she says...
    "Hi, Everybody:

just a short note to let you know I am alive in Haiti....survived having the auditorium fall ON me during the earthquake (soft tissue damage and bad bruising to my head, my right arm and ribs, my legs), but am on the mend and starting to play trumpet again (couldn't for a couple of weeks--hurt too much!).

Don't know when I'll be back in States, so please keep me (and all of us here in Haiti) in your thoughts and prayers.

Mark Schwartz and Bonnie Lowell and Marty Rooney are running Instrumental Change, Inc, while I'm here, so donations are VERY much appreciated and needed (especially tents and camping supplies and baby-wipes, since water is in short supply and the dust from the demolished and destroyed buildings is very much a factor--just walking gets you very dirty very quickly).

Address for donations (tax-deductible):

INSTRUMENTAL CHANGE, INC
    301 Newbury St, S-142
    Danvers, MA 01923My Haiti cell phone has changed and is now 011-509-38 43 08 80

I love and miss you all very much and don't know when I'll be able to get internet access again, so please relay this message to Trumpet Herald and Trumpet Master, too, ok?

Blessings,
    Jeanne
    "
    Note--she says donations sent to Instrumental Change can be shipped to her in Haiti.
    Barb

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Barb:

Thanks for the update and thank God she survived!

Did the school survive? Were any students hurt?

Greg

3. barb

barb New Friend

Feb 3, 2010
    outside of Boston
    Greg,

You're welcome..I'm not sure I have really accurate info on the school...had heard there was damage, and she did say the auditorium ceiling fell on her. Haven't heard of any students being killed, but again, not sure. Will post anything else I hear, usually thru tpin or fb...
    Barb

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Thanks so much, Barb!

As good as it is to know where to send money for general relief, it is great to know of a place for rebuilding the music infrastructure.

If TM'ers want to go above and beyond, please don't be ashamed to do so, and help spread the word.

5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    In western Europe one can also contact SOS Haïti 2010 (Mark R. Mirand, Haïtian Jazz bass player living in France) +33684158609 [email protected]

6. barb

barb New Friend

Feb 3, 2010
    outside of Boston
    As of right now, it's a unclear where immediate supplies can be sent...I'll post as I hear. But certainly we can continue sending through the Red Cross, MSF, et al. Jeanne has said that there is plenty of storage at the Danvers address for instruments, and other musical stuff, so feel free. Rebuiling the program there is very important to her, and to all of us.

Thanks for such a great response...
    Barb

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Thanks for the good news about Jeanne.

8. barb

barb New Friend

Feb 3, 2010
    outside of Boston
    I just heard that one of Jeanne's students did not make it out of the building....sounds like all others are alive, although may be some injuries...those of you who have seen the youtube video of her student, Carlot, will be glad to know his family is ok. He was in Michigan on a speaking tour when the quake hit, and was very worried for a while..
    Barb

9. barb

barb New Friend

Feb 3, 2010
    outside of Boston
    There will be a broadcast of a concert in Haiti that Jeanne will be playing in...CNN, 4 pm Friday....also she will be interviewed on NPR Saturday..don't have a time just now...

barb

10. barb

barb New Friend

Feb 3, 2010
    outside of Boston