from low brass to trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jad0295, Feb 2, 2010.

1. jad0295

jad0295 New Friend

Feb 2, 2010
    Fayetteville, NC
    Hello all. I am a tuba and trombone player, about to turn trumpet player. Could I get some advice that might help me while I adjust to a trumpet?

2. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Well, I am your opposite. I am a trumpet player that has moved to low brass. In fact, I am looking to go all the way to the basement with a tuba. Here in Indy, trumpet players are a nickle a dozen. Euphonium/Baritone players are becoming the same way. Trombone players are close to saturation in Indy too. Therefore my move to the Tuba. It seems many small ensembles are wanting a tuba player.

As to advice, your lung power will be of great value and will out do many trumpet players. DO NOT SMOKE. I am sure you have heard that before. Being a low brass player, you likely do not smoke anyway.

You'll find the key of the music to be a little more friendly to a Bb instrument vs a C instrument.

Your embosure should adust smoothly. I play both the Euph, Trombone and the Trumpet and find it no problem switching instruments. I actually prefer to warm up on the Euph in preparation for the trumpet. However, I don't know about going to any instrument from the tuba.

You likely have the fundamentals of brass instruments and music in general down, so outside of the fingering for treble clef notations, you should fine it an easy and fun adventure to adjust.

Good luck to you my friend. I wish you enough.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  3. jad0295

jad0295 New Friend

Feb 2, 2010
    Fayetteville, NC
    Thank you. I feel assured :D

I probably have a leg up with treble clef, considering i am also a violinist. ;)

4. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I would say buy a Schilke 24 as a starting mpc, since its about the biggest you can buy without special ordering and what not. I guess since your used to a bigger mpc thats what I would do to make the transition easier, but thats just me, im not and expert.

5. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    I went up to first year university before switching to tenor trombone and then to bass trombone, which I played for almost ten years along with euphonium and E-flat tuba. Now 25 years later(!!) I've gone back to trumpet and am having a great time...playing melodies at last. And no more slide! <sigh of relief>.

Regarding your question, the following things come to mind that you may want to consider in switching down:

You'll have to devote time and patience to switching from moving a larger volume of air more slowly to moving much less air faster. To paraphrase Rowak's advice offered elsewhere, you'll need a far smaller high-velocity garden hose than the firehose you've been used to.

I don't necessarily agree that you'll need to start on a huge trumpet mouthpiece, but it will take time to reduce the size of the vibrating lip area and get the buzz to fit comfortably into that much smaller cup. Effectively, parts of your buzz that used to be inside your mouthpiece/s will now lie on or outside the trumpet mouthpiece, and (hopefully!) will no longer be actively buzzing.

Devote some time every day to playing very softly (with proper air column support of course) in order to develop control and ensure the lip points are always together and not being blown apart by excessive volume. This may also help you develop some range a little more quickly.

Be very very patient. And be sure to take the long view of your progress and improvement over time. Best of luck!

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Don't be surprised if members of the opposite sex find you more attractive.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Nice - you've provided the "velvet cushion upon which the band sits" and now for some excitement, some kissing lips, some lead work, some treble clef, and the overwhelming ability to blast woodwind players into the weeds - :welcome: to the Battalion. Oh, you might have to speed up the old digits too. :D

8. jad0295

jad0295 New Friend

Feb 2, 2010
    Fayetteville, NC
    "Don't be surprised if members of the opposite sex find you more attractive. "

haha, how so?

9. fannyfoodle

fannyfoodle New Friend

Jan 29, 2009
    Ripon, CA
    I have done exactly what you're planning and had no difficulty doing so. Here's my view: If you've got the talent and a decent embouchure, you're golden. If not, you're gonna' have a hard time. Trumpet is FAR less forgiving than the tuba. I had a friend who was an excellent tuba player. We met first in county honor band, and then saw each other later at all-state honor band. My sophomore year in high school I switched to trumpet. He asked me why I made the change. The truth was that I was tired of lugging around a giant tuba, as well as getting stuck playing whole notes and quarter notes, but only on 1 and 3. Trumpet was just a lot more fun. Besides..."You've always got tuba chops!" That was my standing line. So...my advice is to try it out. If it works for you...have fun. If not...well..."You've always got tuba chops!"

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Curl your lips in. The cheapest alternative to Botox is to play tuba. :cool: