from low brass to trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jad0295, Feb 2, 2010.

1. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I embarked on the same journey around 25 years ago. It worked out okay, but it took a long time; I guess I didn't have a decent embouchure.

The suggestion of a Schilke 24 mouthpiece isn't bad, in theory, but I'd modify it to suggest that you play the smallest trumpet mouthpiece you can. I did play a Schilke 24 for a number of years, because it was the only thing I could fit my upper lip inside of and still get a buzz. Any smaller and I had to play "in the red."

Over the course of quite a few years I downsized from the 24 to a Bach 1, then to a Bach 1C, then to a Bach 2.5C, then to a 3C. At that point I'd learned to roll my lips in enough to play smaller mouthpieces and could try them out and learn their strengths and weaknesses. It doesn't matter what mouthpiece I've ended up on -- if you follow it through, your own journey will lead you to the right size for you, for the playing you do.

2. jad0295

jad0295 New Friend

Feb 2, 2010
    Fayetteville, NC
    Hello all. Until I get my school trumpet next month, my friend let me have a go on his(with a different mouthpiece) I just wanted to share that I manged to hit a few notes. :cool: I am excited, and cannot wait to be able to practice and get better.

Also, when I was playing, a part of my lips that were not in the mouthpiece buzzed. Is this just me adjusting from a larger mouthpiece?

3. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Yes, you will need to tighten the corners up a bit.

I play baritone in my 2nd hour class, and in my 3rd hour class I play trumpet. Sometimes, but not always, the part of the lips that are not in the mouthpiece buzz a bit. But I just tighten the corners a bit to solve this!

4. jad0295

jad0295 New Friend

Feb 2, 2010
    Fayetteville, NC
    ok, thank you.that helped ^_^