From Orchestral to Commercial

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by talcito, Jun 2, 2005.

1. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Hi Wilmer:

When you "crossed-over" from orchestral playing to commercial playong how did you adjust your practise routine?

All my work is commercial--When I practise I often ask myself "Is this something I could remove from my routine?"

Did you eliminate some of your routines and start to concentrate on "different" techniques.

Once again, thanks!

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    This goes to the heart of my thoughts about trumpet- playing.
    I am a believer in the inner musician. I am a musical actor who can change roles at the blink of an eye. One moment John Adams, the next Elton John.
    Concentrate of the inner trumpet. Sing......it doesn't have to be done publicly, but that sound, that phrase must be activated be the soul of the player.
    I work on arias and songs. I try variations of tonguing sounds. If a player can control the inflections of their playing they can do almost any type of music.
    Wynton and Lew Soloff have that amazing skill.
    Concentrate on sound and style, that is the key.

Wilmer

3. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Thank you----Are there any particular collection of arias and songs which you find useful?

Thanks again!

4. mattdalton

mattdalton Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2005
    Newcastle, WA USA
    What an amazing pearl of wisdom. It reminds me what I really should be aiming for for in my practicing.

Thank you, Wilmer!

5. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Did you stick with the same equipment or did you find it necessary to change over to something different?

6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I play the same equipment for everything. I use a 72* LB Bach. I have been using Laskey mouthpieces. I flirted with the Kanstul M B4s, but I went back to Laskey. Lately though, I have had my really old 3C screw-rim in the horn.This 3C is more like a 1C in feeling :cool:
    Wilmer