From Rowuk's trumpet pedagogy

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DiaxII, Nov 28, 2012.

1. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    Oh, I mean it was probably me who found the Rowuk's piece of advice helpful at the right time for myself.
    I doubt that Rowuk woud add something like: 'OK, and now, press this button and you are at high C' :-)
    However reading my initial post I get an impression that I asked for exactly that!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually that button DOES exist. I only tell my students where it is (after about a year of lessons).

The reason why instant range doesn't work is the same why we can't press 600 Lbs instantly or run a 4 minute mile without preparation. Even IF we had the brute strength before trying, we are totally uncoordinated and not really psyched. Wishful thinking only works on the internet - for a while.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and the High C and above (consistently being able to play that with good sound) -- IMHO takes at least 2,000 hours of quality practice ---- my disclaimer is, some probably can do that sooner, some later --- but for mere REGULAR PEOPLE like me, I am certain a playable range to include the G above high C is certainly attainable within 3 years (at least on a comeback) given enough quality exercises, and some reasonalbe restraint, and of course some coordination between lips, air, and body, and YES -- your mind!!!!

4. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Bleh, because of one of the links mentioned recently, I've figured out that I've been doing pedal tones wrong this entire time. I suppose there's no way I'm getting out of this without finding a local private instructor.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    probably not --- although, I don't always recommend a private instructor, I do see the value in them -- especially for people who need some help, OR otherwise can't discipline themselves ---so having a regular lesson the following week, and an instructor might actually be beneficial in a lot of cases.

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, there are ways to figure this out for yourself....... Think about this: How many babies need dedicated instruction about how to walk, or talk, or breath? Now think about your playing: Why did you start playing pedal tones? How long did it take to realize any results? Were you able to maintain those differences over say 8 weeks? If not, then you may be wasting your time - not because pedal tones are bad, but probably because too much is missing elsewhere. I do not use pedal tones myself and don't teach them. Not because they are not good, rather because I have other things that work. If I hear about something better, I always have to judge what the results should be, how much I need to invest and then after a while if everything is on schedule. Small steps are the secret. Evolution not revolution.

How do we play pedaltones wrong?

7. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    I've always done pedal tones by buzzing as if I were on a bone mouthpiece until I found a steady tone below the register, and then played through all of the positions. This often means playing a different embouchure than what I use in regular playing. I've always just used it as a way to get loose and improve endurance. I'd found long ago that warming up with pedal tones gave me the endurance I needed to make it through a tough show.

The video was demonstrating a pedal C exactly one octave below low C. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't find that C. I was afraid that working on it too hard could be counterproductive, though.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    There's that elusive pedal tone C ... in the second space of the bass clef. Now I'll let you figure out the trumpet fingering for it ... I'm not getting into such again.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    wide open and that is how I C the pedal going!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL (pretty much like the extreme upper register, you really don't need valves at either extreme)

10. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are various philosophies about pedal tones. The one that I see most with players that do this sort of thing is to be able to play it just like any other interval (don't remove the mouthpiece from the lips and be able to slur from low c to the pedal and back again). Many start with a cornet or flugel because it is MUCH easier.

Your endurance has NOTHING to do with the pedal. It has to do with proper preparation and the sum of body use, breath support, ears and brains. Some get the juices flowing, some only use the pedals to relax, some do both. Your playing is the SUM of all of the parameters involved in making music. No one parameter has that much control over the whole result - unless you are missing a lot more......