"Front" on notes..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AndEggs, Feb 14, 2006.

1. AndEggs

AndEggs New Friend

Feb 14, 2006
    Glassboro, NJ
    Hello!

While listening to the recordings (video) of you playing on the Monette web site, what I am really drawn to is the front end of the notes. This is a realization I've come to time and time again, but this time I'm actually writing about it! Sure, I would like to know how you get those crystal clear high notes and all that, but I'm more interested in the front of the note. That characteristic "pop" at the begining. Not a attack, it sounds like a very concentrated burst of sound. As with martial arts and punches, you don't land the punch and then apply the force. The impact and follow through are one in the same. My question being, how do you attain that kind of "attack" securely through the registers?
    On a side note, my playing took a great downward plunge this past semetser trying to play how my teacher wanted me to. Which didn't work for me at all, so I'm in a rebuilding stage, and I'd like to put things back together the right way... While preparing for a recital in 2 months!
    Any help you can provide, or possible insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Matthew

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Matthew,

Have you ever been so exasperated with someone that you reach a point where you let out a scoffing noise like a very, very fast sigh?

Well, it's kind of like that. It's a very light articulation accompanied by a full boat of air. So, we place less onus on the tongue and more on the instant flow of wind that supports it. Having said all that, it's critical to remember that an emphatic syllable all the time (style permitting) is the key to having a consistent articulation. Consistent approach breeds consistent results.

ML

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Manny,

2 questions:

1-For your normal playing, are your 'unmarked' attacks mostly the result of breath control or tongue?

2-When will that wonderful compilation of your trumpet playing instruction be in print (or is it just a rumor :-) )?

Greg

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    1) Both, to tell the truth

2)There's something coming VERY soon that is the result of someone else's work in which I had a hand in prepearing and designing. We're looking at March and you guys will be the first to know!

Late this year there will be some significant projects that will be coming out I hope everyone enjoys.

ML

5. Bugleboy21

Bugleboy21 Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2005
    Fort Eustis, VA
    Manny, you describe it in almost the same fashion as Jack Laumer did to me while I was in school....it's kinda surreal!

Larry

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    And whom do you think was the very first person to introduce me to that concept?

Yup, Jack. He demonstrated with a lick from the last movement of the Haydn and I can STILL hear and see him playing it. All he did was say "You have to lead with the air" and then played for me to demonstrate and that was it. Vacchiano finished the job when I got to the Yard that fall.

ML