Front Teeth Issues

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HoboTrumpet, Feb 14, 2007.

1. HoboTrumpet

HoboTrumpet Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    New Ulm, MN
    Hello all,

Don’t get me wrong – I love dentists. But I have a trumpet/dental issue that’s going to be causing me a 'lil dread in the coming weeks. Let me explain.

About eight years ago while working a summer job in college I had a bit of an industrial accident; an air wrench flung a piece of metal at my face that hit me square in the mouth. I needed four stiches in my bottom lip and I broke one of my upper front teeth clean in half. My dentist at the time attached a large filling to the end of the tooth. It took me weeks to get my chops back, and my sophmore-year college audition a few weeks later left something to be desired, to say the least.

My current dentist warned me at my last appointment that I’m going to need a crown on the tooth during the coming year to replace the filling, which is starting to show and feel its age. Unfortunately, my dentist has so far dismissed my concerns about having the thickness or shape of the tooth changing again, saying something to the effect that “we do crowns all the time.†Are there dentists around (I’m in Minnesota) that specialize in treating musicians with similar concerns? I remember it taking quite awhile for me to get used to my new tooth, it being slightly thicker than my original one.

I might feel better about having to go forward with this if I talk with a second dentist. Just wondering if anyone's been through a similar situation.

Take care,

Andy

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Contact the local chapter of the Musicians Union. They will have information about doctors who specialize in musicians.

3. Guinness

Guinness New Friend

Dec 5, 2006
    Jackson, MS
    Would you pass along Dr. Steve Wright's recipe for valve oil. Thanks.

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Hobo-
    you really need to talk with SolarBell (Chuck Willard). If anyone has recent experience with dental issues, it's him. He'll set you right.

5. adonis74

adonis74 Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2007
    Palm Springs, CA
    I might feel better about having to go forward with this if I talk with a second dentist. Just wondering if anyone's been through a similar situation.

Take care,

Andy

Just some random thoughts on front teeth issues.

I read the story of Wayne Bergeron who had a problem with a tooth. The dentist "fixed" it but then he couldn't play well until he had some more changes made to the tooth. I forget the details right now

Some people have said that a lot of horn players have gaps in their front teeth that somehow makes it easier to play by letting the air pass through. Players I have noticed certainly don't have those perfect sets of teeth.

My own teeth present a problem since one sticks out a bit and too much pressure will dig in to the lower lip. It forces me to not use much pressure, which is a good thing. They're all very close together and I'm working on the embouchure to improve air passage and reduce any pressure.

6. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    My front teeth are quite a mess. I don't play professionally, but I do play alot. I have a protruding/crossed over tooth in the front on top, an overbite, impacted adult canines on the bottom (my baby canines are still there). Honestly, I don't know any different, and don't recognize it as being a problem because I've always had it. I went to an orthodontist once, and he wanted to do major surgery, including breaking and re-setting my jaw. I told him I was a trumpet player. I walked out of the consult and he can kiss my... well... never mind that.

Susan Slaughter had her dentist make some molds of her teeth, and she then took those molds home, and uses the models to make coverings for her teeth to smooth out her dental structure so she can have a grip and playing position she's secure with. (Sorry for such awkward wording...) She discussed it at ITG last year. If you go to the ITG website and look up last year's conference notes, her workshop will be there.

7. Brad

Brad New Friend

Nov 23, 2004
    Minnesota
    Hobo trumpet check your private messages.

Brad

8. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    As a very young trumpeter, I had my upper lip vertically severed 1/4 inch and broke 4 teeth. I suffered nerve damage and a complete realignment of my front teeth. My parents took me to 6 different dentists before we decided to do anything about my teeth. Even today I still have some problems but I work them out slowly. Because I had all of my permanent teeth, after the accident and surgery I had a dental mold made of my teeth. I can't stress enough that wind musicians should get this done. It could save you from a real headache should your mouth/teeth ever get damaged.

If I were you, I would talk to more than just 2 dentists, if it is financially possible. The things they can do these days are amazing. Our insurance did not cover everything but 19 years later I think it was money well spent. Once all of your work is done, I highly recommend that you take some recovery time(maybe 3 to 4 weeks) and get used to your "new" dental structure before even putting the horn to your face. Remember that you're not as young and it may take a little while longer for things to recover. I hope that you are able to work this out and get back on the horn ASAP. The world needs as many trumpeters as possible.

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hey Hobo,

It might do you good to read the posts on this thread. (and anyone else with front teeth problems)

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/story-encourage-final-update-26826.html

PM me if you have any questions.

-cw-

10. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    There was just an article in the IM about a dentist in New York who specializes on working with musicians. I guess that doesn't help you much in New Ulm, but maybe you could contact the guy for phone consultations?