Front Teeth Issues.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by henriselmer, Aug 12, 2010.

1. henriselmer

henriselmer New Friend

Aug 12, 2010
    Hi there! I'm a trumpet player in the UK currently doing my Music degree and want to turn pro in a few years when studying is done!

Recently I've been suffering from some Lip fatigue, basically I think for over practising and playing too much piccolo Trumpet day after day. Over the last week or so I've taken it easy and done lots of techincal exercises etc and my lip now is starting to feel alot better.

However, one of my two front teeth juts out more than the other and seems to take most of the pressure that I play with. Its usually fine all the time though occasionally it does hurt a little. The Dentist has said its a perfectly healthy tooth and its not dying etc! But I have decided for playing reasons and also cosmetic ones I'm probably going to get an invisible brace fitted to level up my two front teeth, well as much as I can level them up.

I'm really worried that this change in teeth positioning will effect my playing and I wont be able to return to how I used to play. Will this moving of my teeth have alot of effect on my playing? If it does will it be simple enough to just rebuild my embouchure over a few weeks and my playing will be fine? Or will it be more difficult than this.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Chris

2. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    If you're moving one just one tooth that hurts your lip sometimes while you're playing, I would think that the only difference would be positive. It's not like you've restructured all of your teeth.

3. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    In a couple of weeks, my dentist will be placing crowns on three of my upper front teeth as they can no longer be filled and maintained satisfactorily. I realize playing after crowns takes an adjustment period and the "element of the unknown" will have to be dealt with. However, I am retired and playing cornet, flugelhorn and trumpet represent a hobby, not a vocation. I should know in a matter of weeks what my sound will be like?

Fortunately, I play guitar and sing vocals, so I will have something to fall back on for practice and recording. Not the same as playing brass instruments, but something to fill the time. I am blessed!

Best wishes,

Lloyd

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Everything changes everything. Nobody can guarantee anything.

What I have noticed myself and in my students is that changing teeth position moves the tongue and that seems to make a big difference. On the other hand, many of my younger students had braces and after they were removed all had their chops back withing 6 months. Your musical development is not just your embouchure. If you have a low impact, high repetition daily program, you should be just fine.

5. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Thanks for the advice, rowuk!

Best wishes,

Lloyd

6. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I'm in agreement with Rowuk. Unless you're doing it for pure cosmetic reasons, you're setting yourself up for changes that you will have to adapt to.

It sounds to me as though you just push too hard when you practice and don't give your facial muscles enough rest. Remember that rest and nutrition are equal parts in improving strength just as practice (tear down process) is. As trumpet players, it's all too easy to forget that.

Just my two cents...

Sincerely,

Keith Fiala

7. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I'm in agreement with Rowuk. Unless you're doing it for pure cosmetic reasons, you're setting yourself up for changes that you will have to adapt to.

It sounds to me as though you just push too hard when you practice and don't give your facial muscles enough rest. Remember that rest and nutrition are equal parts in improving strength just as practice (tear down process) is. As trumpet players, it's all too easy to forget that.

Just my two cents...

Sincerely,

Keith Fiala

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Lloyd, it was a crown (or the absence of such) on my upper right frontal incisor that brought playing my horns to a screeching halt in July 2008. What happens is the crown is placed over the remnants of a tooth ... a remnant as has little strength. It broke on the hard crust of a microwaved pizza. Now I've only a root that must be removed by an oral surgeon ... well, really I've now two more such crowns ... one being an anchor for my partial.

I've been advised by orthodontist that the only satisfactory solution for horn players is implants or full plates. I'm targeting the latter.

Ed

9. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010