frozen slide.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BMmusic, Jun 16, 2008.

1. BMmusic

BMmusic New Friend

Jun 13, 2008
    South. Korea
    Please recommand to me lubricant to use when trumpet slide was frozen.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If your slide wasn't frozen very long, or is cold-welded, try pulling it out with a shoestring around the curve of the bow--a steady pull with some very, very light hammer blows (with a very, very, soft hammer--leather tipped and all) might work. If the slide is held in by calcium dposits, vinegar (or my favorite, a vitamin C solution) will sometimes disolve the bond. I assume you've checked for dents in the slide--even tiny ones can cause trouble!

Sometimes just soaking the parts in water will help.

I wish you the best!

3. BMmusic

BMmusic New Friend

Jun 13, 2008
    South. Korea
    Thank you very much Vulgano.

I think that my trumpet is gathered rust.
    I used shoestring and rawhide mallet.
    But my 2nd slide was do not budge an inch.

I'll try to use vinegar.

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Wood stick may do the trick as well...the key words however are soft and light...Another key term is qualified brass repairman...see what you can do with those key words...

5. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    WD-40 spray lubricant sprayed into the joint from both inside and outside of the joint.
    You might need to to let it soak into the joint for 24 hours, applying more of the WD-40 spray occasionally.

- Morris

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Wood stick, actually chopstick - you stick it through the 2nd valve slide until it contacts the surface of the first valve (assuming slide angles towards player). The using the contact point on the outside of the first valve as a fulcrum, pull outward on the long end of the chopstick to lever the slide out. I think the chopstick will bend or break before this does any damage to the trumpet. (sorry about all the white space) Oh, and it is not rust, unless you have a steel trumpet.

[​IMG]

7. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Hot (not too hot) and cold water?
    the different metals will expand and contract differently and might work

8. BMmusic

BMmusic New Friend

Jun 13, 2008
    South. Korea
    thanks everyone.
    I separate my 2nd slide by shoestring.
    But I have a new problem.
    2nd valve is not action...
    I orderer valve casing repair tool at the votawtool.

9. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Oooooh. This sounds familiar, and I think I know why.

If you look at your second valve slide, it initially comes straight out of the valve, then angles back at about a 45 degree angle. When you use the shoestring or rag trick to pull it out, you are applying torque at an angle to the valve casing and you can actually warp it.

I did this on my last horn. I got the second valve slide out, but when I reassembled the horn the second valve stuck. I had knocked the valve casing out of round pulling out the slide. I was able to re-insert the slide and tap it with a rubber mallet to at least get the valve working.

It may tbe time to get to a good brass instrument technician.

Good luck.

10. Smirnus

Smirnus New Friend

Jun 24, 2008
    The O.C., CA
    Use metal polish and rinse with water on your slides. For tuning and 2nd valve slides use lanolin, find it at drug store. It's a key ingredient in Bag Balm and similar products. For 1st and 3rd slides use trombone slide grease or lanolin and valve oil together.