Frumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Oct 17, 2008.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    Is a Frumpet different than a Bb Bass Trumpet?.......please explain all differences. If the Frumpet is in a different key, can tubing be added or cut away to turn it into a Bb instrument?

2. zuester

zuester New Friend

Mar 25, 2005
    The Frumpet (made by Getzen) is in the key of F, it came out in the late 60's or early 70"s.
    It's main use was as a marching french horn, very popular in college marching bands back in the day. I don't kknow if you could convert one to Bb.

3. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Why would you do that?

Having a frumpet sounds cool to me!

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Conversion to Bb would entail adding a considerable length of tubing, as long as all 3 valve slides plus another 1st slide (7 semitones), to drop the pitch a 5th, or removing equivalent of 1st and 3d slides to raise it a 4th (5 semitones). Then, each slide would need to be resized to yield 2(1st), 1(2nd), and 1.5(3rd) semitones of change relative to the new Bb fundamental (actually 2nd partial - "C" below the staff).

So quite a bit of mod would be required and is probably not practical. This is one reason that horns which have two "selectable" keys, like A/Bb or D/Eb, only span a single semitone of change. Valve slide adjustments from one key to the other are relatively small.

Transposing from F to Bb isn't so difficult that you couldn't just use the Frumpet as it is.

5. WAKeele

WAKeele Pianissimo User

Sep 30, 2004
    The Wild West
  6. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Just one quick warning, crowmadic:

If you decide to convert you frumpet in any direction, the risc is very big that you´ll end up with an instrument that is not as good as the original. Intonation, slotting all sorts of things may lost in a process that you´ll have no controll over.
    I think you should keep the frumpet and get a good, cheap trumpet instead!